Downmixing from 7.1 to stereo?

Hello!
My team and I are hoping to support surround down to stereo in Unreal Engine and FMOD. Is there anything special I need to do in UE or FMOD to detect when a player is using stereo or surround and then select an appropriate output in FMOD?

1 Like

Hi, from my experience so far if you have a bank that is 7.1
( i am using 5.1, but i guess its the same workflow ) it automatically detects what is the sound card settings in Windows and it downmixes according to that. So i guess that you dont need to build separate banks but only the “biggest” one. Try that until we get some word from the official Fmod people. I would like to hear theirs take as well.
Cheers

You can do it one of two ways:

1. Build your Studio project for 7.1, always set the speaker mode in the game to match the Studio project, and let FMOD do the automatic downmix.
  2. Build multiple mixes of the project for different speaker modes and manually change between them in the game.

Okay so I have it set to 7.1 in fmod and the unreal project is set to 7.1, so this should automatically downmix, correct? Even after deployment of the project?

Correct, FMOD will detect the speaker mode that the operating system is using and downmix if necessary.