How do I get the output level of a sound?

I want to get the output level (how loud the sound is in dB or any value) of the dialogue I’m playing. I thought this would be a really simple thing but I can’t find any help on it anywhere. I’m playing the sound as an event instance, and I need the level of just that instance, but I guess I could assign the sound a group or VCA and get the level of that. I’m just clueless. :man_shrugging:t2:

OK. As always I’ve worked it out just after posting my question. I did it using this code (which seems like a very long way to do a simple thing).

FMOD.ChannelGroup playerGroup;
        playerAudio.getChannelGroup(out playerGroup);            
        FMOD.DSP playerdsp;
        playerGroup.getDSP(0, out playerdsp);
        playerdsp.setMeteringEnabled(true, true);
        FMOD.DSP_METERING_INFO playerLevel;
        playerdsp.getMeteringInfo(new IntPtr(), out playerLevel);
        float playerOutput = playerLevel.peaklevel[0] + playerLevel.peaklevel[1];
        Player.talkAmount = playerOutput * 3;

However. The problem I have now is that I’m using this for an animation on my character. I want the user to be able to mute the dialogue if they want and still get this animation, but if I turn the sound down I don’t get the output levels. Is there any way I can mute the sound, but still get the metering info of the sound as if it was playing at full volume???

Anyone?

You should be able to get the volume/metering from the Channel the FMOD::Sound is being played through and muting the ChannelGroup it is routed into.

Thanks! I have tried this path before, as well as trying to get the metering of a child bus and muting the parent. I can’t get any of it to work and I suspect it because of my code. I’ve spent a really long time trying to find the right code to do this but can’t find it anywhere.

I hate to be that guy who needs his hand held, but I really need my hand held on this.

How do I access the channel that the sound is being played through and get the metering of it with C# code in Unity?

Or

How do I get the metering info of a child bus that isn’t effected by turning down the volume of its parent bus?

We set our dialogue volume with code similar to this.

FMOD.Studio.Bus bus = RuntimeManager.GetBus("bus:/Dialog");
bus.setVolume(volume);

There is also a getVolume:

float volume = 0.0f;
bus.getVolume(out volume);

This assumes all your dialogue is on this bus.

You can get the volume of an event instance like this:

FMOD.Studio.EventInstance eventInstance = new FMOD.Studio.EventInstance();
eventInstance = RuntimeManager.CreateInstance(eventPath);
float volume = 0.0f;
float finalVolume = 0.0f;
eventInstance.getVolume(out volume, out finalVolume);
eventInstance.setVolume(volume);

Volume is a normalized value between 0.0 and 1.0.

You can use ChannelGroup::getNumChannels to get the number of channels routed into the ChannelGroup and then get all the necessary information with ChannelGroup::getChannel.

https://www.fmod.com/resources/documentation-api?version=2.1&page=core-api-channelgroup.html#channelgroup_getnumchannels

https://www.fmod.com/resources/documentation-api?version=2.1&page=core-api-channelgroup.html#channelgroup_getchannel

I can’t get that to work even with the sound turned up. Here’s my code.

FMOD.Studio.Bus playerBus = FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetBus("bus:/Master/Dialogue");
            FMOD.ChannelGroup playerGroup;
            //playerBus.lockChannelGroup();
            playerBus.getChannelGroup(out playerGroup);
            FMOD.Channel playerChannel;
            int playernumChan;
            playerGroup.getNumChannels(out playernumChan);
            playerGroup.getChannel(playernumChan, out playerChannel);
            FMOD.DSP playerdsp;
            playerChannel.getDSP(0, out playerdsp);
            playerdsp.setMeteringEnabled(true, true);
            FMOD.DSP_METERING_INFO playerLevel;
            playerdsp.getMeteringInfo(out playerLevel, new IntPtr());
            float playerOutput = playerLevel.peaklevel[0] + playerLevel.peaklevel[1];
            Player.talkAmount = playerOutput * 3;

The number of channels it returns is always 0. Same if I use the channel group of the event rather than the bus. Surely that should be at least 1.