Steam Audio seems to be stereo-only in FMOD?

I’ve used Steam Audio with Unity with all the speaker layouts Unity supports like stereo or 5.1 Steam Audio’s C library itself even supports custom speaker layouts.

However, when loading the Steam Audio Spatializer in an FMOD project (set to 7.1), the output of the spatializer is always stereo:

Any idea why that is the case?

EDIT: Had a quick look at the source code but it seems to just use the channel count that FMOD sends into the effect, so really weird that it is stuck at stereo: steam-audio/fmod/src/spatialize_effect.cpp at master · ValveSoftware/steam-audio · GitHub

Looking at the effect’s source code, it looks like its output buffer’s speaker layout is always FMOD_SPEAKERMODE_STEREO. I suspect this is intentional.

According to the Steam Audio documentation, Steam Audio is a tool for using HRTF to render binaural audio. Which is to say, this effect is designed to produce audio for headphones, and headphones are always stereo. I therefore suspect that this effect producing stereo output is simply what it needs to do to achieve its stated purpose.

Interesting, it’s setting the speaker layout to FMOD_SPEAKERMODE_STEREO during process() when operation is FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY. That’s the only place it does that and I overlooked that since I just took a look at the initialization code.

Have a look at the init function where it initializes the speaker layout to whatever fits the amount of channels:

There’s more places like that in the init function, so it really looks like they wanted it to work with surround.

However, FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY is the one place where FMOD determines the actual effect’s output format:

The DSP is being queried for the expected output format and whether it needs to process audio or should be bypassed.

So maybe that’s an oversight on Steam Audio’s part. Will try to get their build env running on my machine and see if this can be adapted since the initialization seems to be pretty much surround aware.

According to the Steam Audio documentation, Steam Audio is a tool for using HRTF to render binaural audio. Which is to say, this effect is designed to produce audio for headphones, and headphones are always stereo. I therefore suspect that this effect producing stereo output is simply what it needs to do to achieve its stated purpose.

Oh, Steam Audio is much more capable than that! It supports 7.1 when using it directly with Unity and Unreal and the C library supports even custom speaker setups: Audio Buffers — Steam Audio C API documentation

For some reason (likely the code you spotted in the process function) Steam Audio is limited to stereo when using it in FMOD.

I started to add surround support to the Steam Audio FMOD plugin on GitHub. There’s some confusion around how FMOD finds a matching in and out format for a spatializer plugin. Reading FMOD’s online docs, it seems that it uses FMOD_DSP_READ_CALLBACK with FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_OPERATION::FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY. It states

FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY is to be handled only by filling out the outputarray information, and returning a relevant return code.

Which makes it sound like depending on the input format the spatializer should choose an output format. Also the docs state a similar thing here:

Retrieves the output format this DSP will produce when processing based on the input specified.

So I set the output to follow the input format as long as it’s supported by Steam Audio. Doing it like that works fine over here.

But there are situations where you want to go into the spatializer with a mono event and play it out in stereo with HRTF enabled, which the spatializer should know and act upon. Also, FMOD’s own spatializer plugin seems to follow the event’s output format (or the output format of the track the spatilizer is placed). Yet I’m not finding a way to get the current track’s output format (the one in the very right of the currently selected track).

But even if I’m changing the Steam Audio spatializer to follow the format we get from FMOD in outbufferarray (which the docs made me think I’m supposed to override depending on the input format): a track with mono input and 7.1 output will make FMOD show a mono meter at the Steam Audio Spatializer’s input and output.

Debugging this part showed that the plugin was writing the 7.1 speaker mode (FMOD_SPEAKERMODE_7POINT1), channel mask (FMOD_CHANNELMASK_7POINT1) and numchannels (8) to outputbuffer during FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY . Yet, a mono in and 7.1 out will force the spatializer down to mono in mono out:

@joseph can you or one of your engineers shed some light into this situation?

• why is FMOD giving the spatializer plugin an outbufferarray with 7.1 in it on a 7.1 track but goes down to mono output for that plugin if the plugin puts in all the info for 7.1 into outbufferarray?
  • what should a spatializer plugin do to follow the output format of it’s current track?

The output meter should display the format assigned to the output FMOD_DSP_BUFFER_ARRAY::speakermode.
Can you please try setting that during the FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY and confirm that the meter displays the correct layout? i.e:

if (operation == FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY)
    {
        if (outBuffers)
        {
+           outBuffers->speakermode = FMOD_SPEAKERMODE_7POINT1POINT4;
            outBuffers->buffernumchannels[0] = 2;
            outBuffers->bufferchannelmask[0] = 0;
        }
    }

It looks like our spatializers rely on an internal part of our API to follow the event’s output layout, and I’m not sure this is something we can expose easily. Perhaps you could just output 7.1 regardless of the input layout? Or maybe expose a new parameter to manually set the output layout in the UI?

Thanks a lot! Your suggestion forces the plugin to a 7.1.4 layout like expected. Maybe I made a mistake when I tried changing the plugin from following the inBuffers speaker mode to following the outBuffers speaker mode. I think I modified these lines to this:

auto outputSpeakerMode = outBuffers->speakermode;

switch (outBuffers->speakermode)

Trying it out again today, the strange behavior of the plugin’s output always being mono is gone. I’m only on a laptop atm, so maybe it had something to do with my desktop system.
However, it’s still just following the input format since the speaker modes in inBuffers and outBuffers are usually at the same value at the beginning of FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY.

I see the following issues ahead when changing Steam Audio to always output 7.1:

• Let’s suppose the sound designer wants to make a project work in binaural (stereo+hrtf), stereo, 5.1 and 7.1. Continously outputting 7.1 after all project’s spatializers will create unnecessary load for the CPU and RAM on end-user systems with 5.1 or stereo systems due to additional buffers and up/downmixing involved.
  • For sound designers working on non-surround projects, it will be confusing when they insert the Steam Audio Spatializer to always see its 7.1 output layout. They’d probably then always have to force their event’s master output to stereo layout.
  • For VR projects targeting binaural-only, Steam Audio would have to ignore its 7.1 output speaker mode when any of its HRTF settings are enabled and output stereo-only on its 7.1 output in that case, which will add further confusion to users.

An additional parameter on Steam Audio’s UI to select the output format could help to some degree with the anticipated problems. VR-only projects could set that option to stereo. Projects targeting multiple speaker formats could set this parameter via code to their current speaker layout - a bit unnecessary since it works automatically in Unreal and Unity making FMOD feel like a second class citizen to Steam Audio.

Maybe there’s a way to communicate the current speaker mode at FMOD’s final output to the spatializer plugin? That would make it easier for the spatializer plugin to just work automatically.

If you want to follow the platform’s speaker mode (Platform Channel Format in FMOD Studio terms) you can can retrieve that with
FMOD_DSP_STATE_FUNCTIONS::getspeakermode.

if (operation == FMOD_DSP_PROCESS_QUERY)
{
    if (outBuffers)
    {
+       FMOD_SPEAKERMODE mixerMode;           // Your platform's speaker mode
+       FMOD_SPEAKERMODE outputMode;          // The final speaker mode to downmix/upmix to
+
+       dsp_state->functions->getspeakermode(
+           dsp_state,
+           &mixerMode,
+           &outputMode
+       );
+
+       outBuffers->speakermode = mixerMode;  // or outputMode if you want to follow the final downmix 
        outBuffers->buffernumchannels[0] = 2;
        outBuffers->bufferchannelmask[0] = 0;
    }
}

Thanks a lot, this is working great!

For Steam Audio to properly adapt a project to multiple output formats, an important consideration is whether the output format is headphone stereo or speaker stereo, which should control the HRTF property. It seems that FMOD’s speaker format doesn’t differentiate between those formats, so I wonder how this can be achieved?

I thought about various solutions but none seem to work or be good enough to be upstreamed:

1. Automating HRTF Setting: FMOD’s limitation to only automate float values makes automating the HRTF setting on the Steam Spatializer plugin impractical. Moreover, relying on sound designers to manually adjust this for each instance adds complexity.
  2. Global Parameter in FMOD Studio: adding a global parameter to the FMOD studio project that describes whether headphones are currently used seems to be inaccessible from the context of a spatializer plugin
  3. New DSP Parameter: adding a new DSP parameter that’s controlled from Steam Audio’s engine integration (Unity, Unreal) requires to iterate over all DSP indices of all tracks of an event instance and comparing the DSPs name, resulting in unnecessary overhead.

Currently, users can employ a workaround of placing two instances into a track—one with HRTF enabled and one disabled—and then selectively excluding them based on the stereo format. However, this approach is prone to errors and adds significant editing overhead.

@jeff_fmod, do you see any avenues for enabling spatializer plugins to recognize the intended stereo format? Maybe the integration could set a user-defined property within the FMOD core system that can be picked up by the spatializer plugins or something like that …

That does seem like a bit of an oversight there. I will pitch it to the Dev team and see if we can get a finer degree of semantic separation in our speaker modes.

In the meantime, I haven’t been able to determine any key differences between the “Stereo” and “Headphone” speaker modes at an API level, so the best solution currently I think would be to expose a DSP parameter that your users can set in the FMOD Studio UI, perhaps an “Enable HRTF” toggle button.

That is already the case (Steam Audio has an HRTF bool in the UI) but it doesn’t solve the issue:

• You want it to be disabled for end user with a speaker setup
  • You want it to be enabled for end users with headphones but only if the sound designer wanted this event to be binauralized (yes, there will always be events that should be played back without HRTF even on headphones)

Effectively, the “Enable HRTF” option should be treated by the spatializer as the sound designers intent to apply HRTF if the end user is using headphones.

Having a bool DSP parameter on the spatializer’s UI that enables HRTF rendering for that instance leads to the situation I described in my previous post:

• Sound Designers cannot automate this parameter since it’s a bool (limitation in FMOD) so the HRTF DSP parameter would be always enabled or disabled but you want it to be set depending on the end user’s setup (headphones vs. speakers)
  • Game code would have to iterate over all DSP indices of all tracks of an event and do a string compare for each of these to find a Steam Audio effect every time an event gets fired to set the HRTF DSP parameter
  • Accessing an FMOD Studio parameter from the context of a DSP plugin to read and set the HRTF DSP parameter accordingly is not possible because the DSP cannot access things that exist in the Studio system (to my understanding)

Generally this is handled with Platform Exclusion of individual effects- so you would have one spatializer with HRTF enabled, exclude that on a custom “Stereo Speaker” platform, then have a second spatializer with HRTF disabled, and exclude that on a custom “Stereo Headphones” platform. You can then save that as a Preset Effect Chain so you can easily add it to any other events.
You could then switch between these different configurations by unloading/loading the “Stereo Speaker” or “Stereo Headphones” banks, usually in some kind of audio settings page that the end user controls.

For this case, instead of using the Preset Effect Chain mentioned above, add an instance with HRTF disabled.

I don’t think the automation is necessary if you use the platform exclusion method mentioned above, but if you did want to go with a parameter automation approach, perhaps you could implement it in terms of a float parameter ranging from 0 → 1 instead of a bool?

Not if you set it up at design time in FMOD Studio using an FMOD Studio parameter, or using the platform exclusion approach.

The DSP can’t ask if it needs to use HRTF, but it could be told to use HRTF via the hypothetical parameter mentioned above.