Bi vs. unipolar modulation

Hiya

Had a search around but couldn’t find an answer. Is it possible to switch from the default bipolar to uni?

Thanks

J

Whether a modulator uses bipolar or unipolar modulation in FMOD Studio depends on the property being modulated. As a rule of thumb, volume properties (such as the volume property of an instrument or track) use unipolar modulation, while modulation of other properties use bipolar modulation.

Is there any specific problem you’re trying to solve by changing from bipolar to unipolar modulation?

Thank you, that’s very helpful.

I think the simplest example is negative randomness i.e., 0 to - 1 but originating from 0 and not the negative value. On the wishlist would be a mod toolset with as many variations as possible so ranges, min/max, scaled, etc.

Oh and automation point modulation would be lovely!

I’m a total noob, but I think by creating a parameter and automating a curve from 0 to 100 (for example) then modulating that parameter, it basically becomes an automation point modulator.

someone correct me if I’m wrong

I’ve added the suggestion that we add user-selectable polar modes for modulators to our feature/improvement tracker.

1 Like

While this method does result in the value of a parameter being modulated, I’m afraid I don’t understand how you’d use it to modulate an automation point.

Yeah I just meant it’s basically the same thing.

Thank you!

As an example, variable automation points would be useful with vertical music setups. I can create a variation to the fade in/out points by duplicating the tracks to a new loop range but if I could randomly move the automation points that would just simplify the process and allow for increased randomisation.

I’ve also added your suggestion that we support modulation of automation point y-values to our feature/improvement tracker.

1 Like