Nested event with tail doesn't play tail on stop

Hey! I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I’d love your help solving it.

My setup is like so:
An event has a state parameter (label) that according to its state plays the appropriate nested event.

Inside the nested event is set to have a looping section and a tail that activates when stopping the event.

When I’m playing the nested event and stopping, it jumps to the tail destination marker and plays it accordingly.
But when I’m playing the main event, it doesn’t work for some reason.

Any ideas?

There’s a simple solution to this issue - but to explain it, I’ll first have to explain what’s happening.

The parent event instance that contains and triggers the event instrument, and the child event instance that’s spawned when the event instrument is triggered, are two separate event instances. This is important, because when you issue a stop command to an event instance, it affects only that event instance. It doesn’t affect other event instances - not even if they’re parents or children of the event instance that received the command.

Thus, when you send a stop command to the parent event instance, that parent event instance plays out its stopping behavior - which by default is to stop immediately. The child event instance does not receive a stop command, and so continues playing and routing its output into the parent event instance until that parent event instance stops.

If you want to hear the child events’ stopping behavior when the parent event is stopped, you need to do two things: Ensure the child event instances receive a stop command when the parent event does, and ensure the parent event instance doesn’t stop immediately when it recieves a stop command. The easiest way to do both (in your case) is to give the event instruments in the parent event an event state condition that causes them to untrigger when the parent event is stopped. To do so:

1. Click on an event instrument in the parent event to select it.
  2. In the deck, click the Trigger Behavior disclosure triangle to expand the trigger behaviour drawer.
  3. Click the “Add Condition” button, and select “Add Event Condition” from the menu.
  4. Repeat the above steps for each of the other event instruments in the parent event.