About studio timeline velocity

I’m trying to use fmod studio recently and I just found it’s so good that I can do most of my work in studio without our own editor. But I got a question that FMOD Studio can’t add two timeline parameters in one event , either I can’t change the velocity of the timeline, Am I right?
Is there any way I can manage the velocity of the timeline in just like I found an xml-file-editing-way in another topic about seek speed? Or if I can set another parameter to one way seek parameter like a fake velocity parameter?

By the way there is a bug: I installed designer 4.44.19 , 4.30.02 and studio 1.03.08 on my PC. If I load example.fspro, studio will crush. I uninstalled desigener 4.44.19 then it’s OK

Thanks! We really wanted to remove the requirement to use external tools for complex tasks that plagued Designer, so it’s good to know it’s working out.

You’re half-right. You can’t add two timeline parameters to one event… But you can add event sound modules and event reference sound modules that have their own timelines, which can allow you to run multiple timelines from the same event. In my experience, though, most users don’t actually need multiple timelines in a single event to achieve what they want; What are you trying to do that requires them?

You’re also partially right about not being able to adjust the speed at which the timeline cursor moves: You can adjust the rate above or below its one-second-per-second default, but not without adjusting the pitch at which the event plays. The event’s Pitch macrocontrol is the tool you want - but only if adjusting the pitch is also what you want. What are you trying to do with the event that requires the rate at which time advances to change?

We haven’t implemented parameter velocity yet; We do plan to, but almost all of our users have found the single event timeline sufficient, so parameter velocity hasn’t been our highest priority. What are you trying to do? We might be able to suggest a way to do it on the timeline, or through seek speed, or possibly even without using parameter movement at all.

Thanks for the report, I’ll investigate possible causes. In what order did you install the two Designer versions, and to what paths?

Thank for your time very much bros!
I will give my answer one by one then detail my situation.

Q:most users don’t actually need multiple timelines in a single event to achieve what they want; What are you trying to do that requires them? What are you trying to do with the event that requires the rate at which time advances to change?

A:Sorry I’m not clear but I’m not sure about that I do need two time or more indeed. However I combined your question here because of one reason. In fact What all I need is velocity type parameter. Our game playback the role’s action in variable rate. If I match up sound to the frame of one action, then there is really no need for our editor – which make our workflow inefficient seriouly just because I have edit one thing in two place even more, like Cubase to create samples. But studio cannot change the rate of timeline, pitch will change the sound but I just need the playback faster or slower with no pitchshift. For example , the action playback at 1.5x rate. In designer,I can use EventParameter::setVelocity to set to 1.5 then it’s done(I guess. I haven’t tried ever because I assign the events to the frame in our own editor before). So it have to use change the velocity to achieve this.
Further,if velocity can change,I think people would like to use multi timelines at different rate though I can’t detail the other way to use at this time.

Q:Multi version designer & studio for?
A:Our game developed at 4.30.06 Ex. So I have to keep the designer match up. I install 4.44.19 to study new feature of designer.

It sounds like it’s not so much parameter velocity you need so much as the ability to alter parameter velocity; Unfortunately, FMOD Studio does not currently include any capability to alter parameter velocity or seek speed in-game other than through pitch adjustment on the timeline - which, as you’ve already mentioned, is not appropriate for this project. Your only option, therefore, is to place your event’s content on a parameter, and ramp the value of the event parameter in your game’s code at a rate appropriate for your game event.