Am having a very hard time learning Fmod

I am just trying to learn Fmod and Celeste right now. I consider myself a pretty advanced DAW user. I use Reaper. I need help.

I can get one track and one sound into the game, but i’m trying to get layers working at the tutorial i’m reading is just confusing the heck out of me. same with any youtube tutorials. just total confusion.

here is the page i’m attempting to learn from here Advanced Custom Audio · EverestAPI/Resources Wiki · GitHub

I want to get layed music working where drums come in over top of my ambient track for certain obstacles using triggers. but I bring my audio into Fmod and the drums are like 10x louder than they were in Reaper. I dont’ understand this at all what is going on… How do i get my music into my game but not have it destroyed, it sounded perfect in Reaper. I am not understanding layered music very well. Like do i have to master it again in Fmod? can we use Vst plugins in fmod?

are there any learning resources for this online? am seriously frustrated at this point been trying to figure this out for 3 days now

A video series on how to do this would be excellent

i found this on your site Celeste FMOD Commentary - Twitch

but it’s in 720p resolution, fmod text pretty hard to read, also 4 hour long video not separated into parts, i have pretty strong adhd , this seems impossible for me

right now i’m attempting to add layers to an event i just made and it’s just confusing and not making a lot of sense. like why does moving my cursor around on the layer timeline effect the knob up top. what is the layer parameter even used for, what is it doing to my timeline… that github page i’m using just does not explain why we are doing things. so It just is not registering in my brain at all what to do, what i’m doing. what i’m supposed to be doing.

it’s just not explained enough details for me. maybe that 4 hour video would help but it’s really really hard to see even on my big monitor. the text in Fmod kinda blurry in 720p

Can someone pls link me to a tutorial for fmod how to do layers. , something that is not 11 year old tutorial pls, thanks
the only one i can find is super old. I need to know how to do a layer with a trigger like my ambient music and my drum track are the same bpm… i want my drum track to fade in and out as i pass over a certain area in the game using triggers. How do i do this. been looking for a week now for help.

Fist step to mastering FMOD: everything is context-sensitive. Right-click everything to see what you can do with it.

There are a few good ways to do what you want. The easiest is to make a parameter sheet in your event, and draw a volume curve on your drum layer. Then drive that parameter up and down by proximity to your triggers.

One thought about why your drum layer might be louder: did you have any master bus comp in your DAW? If you’re listening to the mix with any comp on the master bus, but you’re bouncing stems, your stems will sound different because they’re each compressed separately.

Stick with it! Once FMOD clicks, you’ll love it!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for getting in touch and persevering with FMOD.

Unfortunately, this is not supported.

Unfortunately, we do not have a more in-depth video series at this time.

Could I get a screenshot of the knob you are referring to in the Event Editor, I am not too sure which one it is.

With the download of FMOD Studio, we provide an example project: "C:\Users\XXX\Documents\FMOD Studio\examples\Examples.fspro" I suggest having a look at the Forst event which has different layers that are faded in and out depending on different parameters.

This is a fantastic suggestion, another way may be using the build-in parameter Distance which will automatically update depending on the distance to the listener.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything more we can assist with please do not hesitate to ask.

1 Like

yea i just didn’t know how ppl did this. i see that Fmod video here now
OneBlade 360 (youtube.com)
by far the best tutorial i have found. I saw other ways you can do this using layers from this celeste github page here
Advanced Custom Audio · EverestAPI/Resources Wiki · GitHub
but if you look at how they did the music in Celeste the loops in Farewell for example they have to finish their loops completely before progressing… i like the method the girl show’s in her video how to crossfade ‘relative’ to each other, seems a lot smarter of a way to do things.

And yea i did not know how any of this works when i asked. I don’t like the idea of using different instruments in Fmod , i’d much rather have full mixes pre made in my DAW that can crossfade in and out of each other ‘relative’. it just seems like a much more intelligent approach.
thanks for the reply. if there’s any more tips you can give me pls do

I use Reaper DAW and i see there is Fmod integration, i will use it once i know what i’m doing

1 Like