"bubbles" overlay on unity apps

On some devices (repro case on some samsung galaxies) which have two speakers, our app is still producing sound (on one speaker only) when an “overlay app” is activate; i.e. incoming and active phone call. this app is not “full screen”, it is only a “bubble” on top of unity app (unity is still active, no OnApplicationPause was triggered). if you then tap the bubble, the app goes “full screen” and unity gets paused, stopping the audio.
Is this a fmod feature or device?

I have not been able to reproduce this behaviour, but it sounds like it could be related to Samsung’s Appear On Top feature.
I would expect audio to continue when one of these overlays appears, and stopping when tapping the bubble and opening a different application. Having audio only come out of one speaker is unexpected though.
Can you please tick Enable API Error Logging, set your Logging Level to “Log”, and post the output of your game’s log when this situation occurs?

uploaded logcat

Thank you for sending over the log. I can see that mixerSuspend is only appearing once, and it is immediately followed by mixerResume, which I was not expecting to see based on your description. I do not see the speaker mode changing in FMOD, so FMOD does not appear to be responsible for the switch to a single speaker.
When the bubble overlay appears, does the sound start coming out of the receiver (top phone speaker) or the main speaker (bottom phone speaker)? If it is coming out of the receiver, then I suspect this is the OS changing the speaker mode at the hardware level, in preparation for a phone call.
If you are using your phone’s media player, or some other non-FMOD/Unity application that plays sound, does audio also switch to a single speaker when the overlay appears? Or is it only your FMOD/Unity application that exhibits this behavior?

Here’s a more filtered log.

The mixersuspend and resume are caused by us, since we open a native dialog, hence pushing unity into pause state.

The “interesting” calls happen during “Telecom” logs:

02-09 11:16:32.400 30122 30949 I fmod : Thread::callback : FMOD mixer thread finished.

02-09 11:16:33.061 30122 30542 I fmod : FMOD::supportsLowLatency : Low latency = true, Pro Audio = true, Bluetooth On = false, Acceptable Block Size = true (192)
02-09 11:16:33.141 30122 30542 I fmod : AAudio_Init : Sample rate: HW = 48000, SW = 24000 Block size: HW = 192, SW = 512.

So, fmod get’s reinitialized somehow?

As for speakers, once answered, audio is heard from top speaker.

Thank you for the additional information. That is an interesting observation, it looks like something is stopping the FMOD::Output, which indicates a driver reset call was issued by the OS.
Can you please tell me, if you are using your phone’s media player, or some other non-FMOD/Unity application that plays sound, does audio also switch to a single speaker when the overlay appears? Or is it only your FMOD/Unity application that exhibits this behavior?

we tested a few of our other apps (one using unity & “unity audio”) and two with custom engine (sles for audio), all of them mute the app once call is answered.

we also tested media playback (video from gallery), but this one got minimized once call was answered.

Thank you for looking into that- and with these other application, when the bubble overlay appears does it play the application’s sound out of only one speaker? Or does it mute the moment the bubble overlay appears?
To answer your original question, it seems that audio stopping when a call is answered is a feature of the operating system, and not an FMOD feature or device. I would just like to confirm whether other applications are switching to the receiver when a phone call first arrives or if this is some irregular behavior that FMOD may be introducing.