Coordinates , parameters and dialogues

Hi again,

I´ve got two new questions:

Let´s imagine a map with different events (and different emitters) depending on the location.

I´d like to know if there is any way of triggering an event when a player reaches a place determined by coordinates x, y or z (with a small range to allow the movement of the player in that zone) where the emitter is located. And ,as soon as the player leaves that location, stop that event.

My second question is related to dialogues. Let´s imagine a conversation between an npc and a player, the player has several options to ask and answer the npc.

I´d like to know what to do to select an especific audio file depending on the answer or the question of the player or npc in order to have a coherent conversation between player and npc.

Ty for your inmense help.:slight_smile:

Yes but this is typically the kind of thing to be done in the game code, not in fmod studio. The game code will trigger the right fmod event when a collision box is triggered, for instance.

This is handled by “programmer instruments”. I’m not very experienced with those instruments so I’ll let you look at the documentation!

Thank you very much :smiley:
I´ve taken a look to the programmer instruments in the documentation but i guess i´m doing something wrong because i tried to create several localized audio tables in the dialogue bank i created (for supporting different languages) and i was unable to do it.
Another problem i came across is that -even dragging the only audio table i managed to create- into the instrument placeholder (in the deck), as documentation says, i couldn´t play not even a single file from the audio table.
(Maybe i misunderstood the function of the placeholder).

Anyway, thank you again :slight_smile:

When I test here, I’m able to create localized audio tables without problems. Could you describe in more detail how you tried to make the localized audio tables, and what went wrong when you did?

To clarify, do you mean it was impossible to play files from the audio table in your game? Or that it was impossible to play those files when auditioning events in FMOD Studio?

If the latter, then that’s the intended behavior. When a programmer instrument is triggered, it generates a callback that prompts your game’s code to select which audio file to play. When you audition events in FMOD Studio, there is no game code to handle the callback or choose a file from the audio table, so the programmer instrument will instead play its placeholder file (which must be a file from the assets browser).

Hi Joseph,

I´ve tried to create an unique bank for dialogues and -inside this bank- create different localized audio tables in order to support 3 languages. I tried with right-click on the bank but -apparently- it´s not doable.

Regarding playing files from audio tables, i think you hit the bull´s eye, i was draggin the audio table straight to the instrument´s placeholder in the deck.

How can i create a placeholder file?

As explained in our documentation on localized audio tables, you don’t need to create a separate audio table for each language; you need to add the locales you plan to support in the “assets” tab of the preferences dialogue, then create a single localized audio table. This table will automatically look in a different subdirectory for the assets associated with each locale, using the locale code as the subdirectory name. When you build the project, a different version of each bank with a localized audio table will be built for each locale in your project, and these banks will be placed in subdirectories of your build output directory, again using the locale codes as subdirectory names.

You can either drag an asset from the assets browser onto the placeholder, or drag an audio file from an Explorer or Finder window onto the placeholder. This will import the audio file into your project if it isn’t imported already.

Note that importing a file doesn’t mean it will be included in your banks when the project is built. To be included in a bank, an asset must be in the audio table associated with that bank, or used as something other than a placeholder in an instrument assigned to that bank.