DualSense vibrations coming out as sound during discord streaming on pc

Hello, we’re adding DualSense vibration support to our game on PC. We created two studio instances and are using “fmod_output_controller.dll.” Everything is working okay on PC, but when we stream in Discord, the game’s vibration is being transmitted as sound to others. How can we prevent that?

I have not been able to reproduce this issue. What version of Unity and FMOD are you using?

Hi, currently we are using unit 2022.3.13f1 at the moment and FMOD unity plugin version is 2.02.19

Still no luck unfortunately, would it be possible to get a minimal reproduction?
I think a Unity project with everything removed except your banks and a scene that plays the vibration event on a controller should be sufficient.
If you could please upload that to your FMOD Profile I will try reproducing it on my end.

Thanks Jeff, I’ll create a sample project and I’ll upload the my profile.

1 Like

Hi, Sorry I couldn’t create the example project earlier. I uploaded to the my profile.
Step to reproduce the issue:

1. Make a build for windows.
  2. Call someone from discord and start sharing your application.
  3. Press square on Dualsense Controller.
  4. Other side will hear vibration.

Changing input device is not effecting this.

Thanks for uploading the example project, and sorry for the delayed response.

I’ve been able to reproduce the issue on my end, and it definitely seems like unintended behavior, so I’ve passed it along to the development team for further investigation.

The development team has informed me that on Windows, the Dualsense controller exposes itself as a four channel audio device, and our output plugin interleaves the two stereo streams (master bus + vibration) that get sent to the controller. This means any app capturing audio will receive that 4 channel signal, which may not be desired, but is expected. Unfortunately, I don’t have any workarounds for you.

It’s also worth noting that the FMOD Controller Output lib is intended for auditioning purposes only, and we don’t really support its usage outside of that context. I can see the worth in expanding its functionality outside of testing though, so I’ve noted that on our internal feature/improvement tracker.

Thank you very much @Leah_FMOD .

1 Like