ERROR: Unable to load DLL: "fmodL.dll" Status: 0xc0000135 When deploying on XSX

When I cook and package my game with FMOD I get no errors but when I deploy it I get Loading DLL fmod.dll failed with status 0xc0000135 error

I belive that i correctly installed all needed FMOD extensions for xbox, I am using UE5 built from source and FMOD 2.02.07 for unreal with gamecore GDK.
I’ve also searched files on devkit and I wasn’t able to find the fmodL.dll file. So there is probably some problem with packaging, but again, I get no erros when packaging.

Is there an additional step needed for the xbox?

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks

Have you completed the Platform Specific Setup for XSX? There are two additional files you need to add, one in the “Config\XSX” directory and the other in “Platforms\XSX\Config”.

Do you have any update on this we get the same error, I have checked the Platform Specific Setup and I followed the steps.

Are you doing a development or shipping build, and do you have fmodL.dll or fmod.dll anywhere in your packaged project?
Can you also please tell me what version of FMOD and Unreal you are using?

Unreal Version: Unreal Engine 5.0.2
FMOD: 2.02.07
GDK: 211000

I am trying to do a Development build. I can see fmodL.dll loaded into the package but not fmod.dll, When doing a debug I get this error.

Not sure if I am checking the content of the package the right way, how should I check the package content ?

Error: Unable to load DLL: "fmodL.dll", Status 0xc0000135
'A dependent dll was not found' 

Hi Wsahl. We had a similar error. Would you happen to have a similar structure as this?:
Some_random_name_not_related_to_the_project:
-Content
-Source (optional)
-YourGame.uproject

If the folder that holds your uproject is not the same as YourGame fmod fails to load. What we did to workaround this was to make a symlink and when we needed to build we used to enter using that symlink (the symlink had the YouGame foldername)

Based on UDN support ticket I made, for some reason Unreal engine code + GDK platform specific code were not able to resolve relative/local path to dll. I changed FMOD code to use absolute path instead
XSX\Plugins\FMODStudio\Source\FMODStudio\Private\FMODPlatform.cpp

FString FMODPlatform_GetDllPath(const TCHAR *ShortName, bool bExplicitPath, bool bUseLibPrefix)
    {
        FString LibPath = FPlatformProcess::ExecutablePath();
        const FString DllName = FString::Printf( TEXT( "%s.dll" ), ShortName );
        LibPath.ReplaceInline( FPlatformProcess::ExecutableName( false ), *DllName );
        return LibPath;
    }

So now FMOD dlls are resolved to an absolute path and work as intended at XSX, using UE 5.2.0

Hi,

This issue should be fixed as of FMOD 2.02.16 - can I get you to confirm what version of FMOD for Unreal you’re using?

1 Like

Hello,

We are using 2.02.09. Will ask people around if we can quickly update to the latest

1 Like

Hello Louis,

I’ve checked the 2.02.17 version and the code is kinda the same as I provided: FPlatformProcess::GetModulesDirectory() instead of my patch.

So 17th version works, thanks

1 Like