Feature Request: Template or "Base" events

Hey there, as far as I understand it there’s no way to do this, so it would be a really neat feature.

I’d like it if one were able to create events that use another event as a sort of base, almost like nesting them, but still keeping them separate events.

This would allow the user to, for example, set up automation using built in parameters like Distance for EQ in a base event, then inherit this event in many other events across the project. If the user then tweaked this base event, the other events would “inherit” the changes as well.

I know you can technically get around this with multi-selection, but it can be a huge pain to go through the entire event list and select all the events you need to tweak values for. Allowing inheritance to events would be a “simple” fix as far as user experience goes.

Hope this all makes sense!

I can see how the kind of event templates you describe would be a useful feature! I’ve added this suggestion to our feature and improvement tracker.

It’s not exactly the same, but have you considered using shared effects and shared effect chains? Every instance of a shared effect shares the same settings, and changes made to a shared effect affect every instance of that effect throughout your project. This means that if any of a shared effect’s properties are automated, every instance of that shared effect uses the same automation curves.

The result is that you’re able to set up automation once, and then have the same behavior inherited by other events throughout your project, just as you describe. Does that suit your needs?

I didn’t know shared effects were a thing. This sounds like it could be a great stopgap for now, I’ll have to check it out!