FMOD event instances accumulating over time despite clean code to release events

Hey there!

I’ve been working on a semi open world racing game for a while now and i have a situation (solid example profile session ready to be uploaded)

it’s a similar situation in build and in engine (unity) but while i can hear the audio in engine, the audio is gradually squeezed out of existance in build. exacerbated by each race.

what i’ve noticed is that at a certain point, simple events like “Checkpoint” or “Select” (and various other UI noises) stop playing out normally. the instance is created yet not released until, generally, AFTER a race in the game meaning there can be a big build up of events. can take a few races to release too.

i’d love it if someone could take a look and give me something to try. me and the programmer helping are at a bit of a loss. we looked into the different ways of pre-loading audio to help the events start and stop properly but the programmer finished with “I actually think it’s a different issue, since these “waiting for sample data” periods are like 20 minutes long. It should only ever be like 0.5s at worst. Can you ask FMOD support about this?”

so here i am. any ideas? any help?

thanks!
tom

Apologies for the delayed response!

Some of the behavior you’re describing lines up with, for example, event instance or voice limits that you might be running into by accidentally failing to release unneeded events. However, “waiting for sample data” periods being 20 minutes long is definitely strange.

Could I get some more info from you? Specifically:

• Your FMOD Studio version number
  • Your FMOD for Unity plugin version number
  • Your Unity version number

Could I also get you to upload a profiler session recorded via Live Update where the issue occurs, packaged with all options enabled, to your FMOD User profile? It’ll allow me to take a closer look at what’s going on when the issue occurs, and hopefully diagnose it.

hey! thanks for getting in touch, leah

i’m in cahoots with Jeff about this in dms now. we’ve resolved the endless instances (there was a looping event that was being triggered like a one shot) but the gap between active and all voices remains huge.

let me get a more recent profiler session uploaded

Hey Leah!

Jeff is taking a look also so no bother if you’re busy elsewhere.

here are the profile sessions from last week that

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IMBZI2G1yRYfFFxMiGvVElqGe7xEJUUN?usp=sharing

1 is before any changes
2 is after fixing the looping bike emote that was stacking (due to being triggered like a one shot)
3 is in-engine rather than build and is after 1 and 2 and has had priority on Bike Dirt event put to Highest