Fmod snapshot doesn't stop

Hello, I am going to use snapshots to mute and unmute music volume. What I found is that “muting” snapshot works, i.e. it mutes music, but corresponding event instance never stops (it has FMOD_STUDIO_PLAYBACK_PLAYING state) and hence it is never released. Of course, I call release() function to schedule release of the event once it stopped.
Even after calling update() function situation remains. It can only be solved after I manually call stop() function for the event instance. As a consequence when I call “unmuting” snapshot nothing happens, music remains the same muted. Could you pls advise on this? What can be the problem here?

Regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

That is the expected behaviour. Snapshots are a kind of event, but their behaviour differs slightly.

The release() function will remove event instances from memory once they have naturally finished. In a normal event situation, this is when there is no sound being produced, no instruments are triggered, and no transitions/loop regions exist beyond the point of the playback position.

In a snapshot, you can’t place instruments or produce audio, so if it was treated like a regular event it would constantly “finish” when called. So instead, snapshots remain alive until they are explicitly told to stop.

I hope this has given a bit more insight. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Richard

2 Likes

Richard, thank you for the answer. Now everything is clear.

Regards,
Pavel