FMOD Studio API Support for Windows MinGW gcc?

I’ve been getting started on FMOD integration for a game I’m working on and I noticed that FMOD Studio API 1.03.00 does not seem to have binaries that are compatible with MinGW gcc. Do such binaries exist? If so, is there a way for me to get a hold of them?

It’s pretty critical for me to get a gcc compatible set of binaries because our engine code is cross platform and depends highly on a specific set of C++11 features that are not yet implemented (to the best of my knowledge) in Microsoft’s compiler.

You should be able to get this working. In FMOD Ex we used to run cygwin’s ‘DLLTOOL’ which produced an import library from a dll. Because fmod studio exports C symbols, you can do it this way, and you’re restricted to the C api not c++ (because the ABI between MSVC and CYGWIN are not compatible with c++).
Here’s the commandline we used for fmodex and cygwin

…\bin\cygwin\dlltool --output-lib “…\version\api\lib\lib$(TargetName).a” -A -k --dllname $(TargetFileName) --def …\src\fmod_cygwin.def

I added what I see is still exported by studio’s build process, the cygwin .def file for the low level. The studio api doesnt have it yet but we can produce that.
As a test, let me know if this works and we can continue.

Brett,

I generated libfmod.a for the low level using dlltool and the .def you provided, and it seems to work! I did, however, hit a snag where it seems like the preprocessor was picking up a wrong set of #defines for some calling conventions in fmod_common.h.

In file included from c:\mingw\include\fmod\fmod.h:14:0,
                 from test.cpp:1:
c:\mingw\include\fmod\fmod_common.h:1115:33: error: expected ')' before '*' token
 typedef FMOD_RESULT (F_CALLBACK *FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACK)          (FMOD_SYSTEM *system, FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACK_TYPE type, void *commanddata1, void *commanddata2, void *userdata);
                                 ^
c:\mingw\include\fmod\fmod_common.h:1117:33: error: expected ')' before '*' token
 typedef FMOD_RESULT (F_CALLBACK *FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_CALLBACK)  (FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL *channel, FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_TYPE controltype, FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_CALLBACK_TYPE callbacktype, void *commanddata1, void *commanddata2);

Looking at the preprocessed source, I see the following:

typedef FMOD_RESULT (_stdcall *FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACK) (FMOD_SYSTEM *system, FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACK_TYPE type, void *commanddata1, void *commanddata2, void *userdata);

typedef FMOD_RESULT (_stdcall *FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_CALLBACK) (FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL *channel, FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_TYPE controltype, FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_CALLBACK_TYPE callbacktype, void *commanddata1, void *commanddata2);

Meanwhile, fmod_common.h contains:

/*
    Compiler specific settings.
*/

#if defined(__CYGWIN32__)
    #define F_CDECL __cdecl
    #define F_STDCALL __stdcall
    #define F_DECLSPEC __declspec
    #define F_DLLEXPORT ( dllexport )
#elif defined(WIN32) || defined(_WIN32) || defined(__WIN32__) || defined(_WIN64)
    #define F_CDECL _cdecl
    #define F_STDCALL _stdcall
    #define F_DECLSPEC __declspec
    #define F_DLLEXPORT ( dllexport )
#elif defined(__MACH__) || defined(__ANDROID__) || defined(__linux__)
    #define F_CDECL
    #define F_STDCALL
    #define F_DECLSPEC
    #define F_DLLEXPORT __attribute__ ((visibility("default")))
#else
    #define F_CDECL
    #define F_STDCALL
    #define F_DECLSPEC
    #define F_DLLEXPORT
#endif

Looks like MinGW + gcc is falling into the WIN32 set of defines. I ended up getting around this for the time being by adding #define CYGWIN32 just prior to including the fmod headers, and now my test program compiles, links, and runs just fine. The preprocessed output looks like so:

typedef FMOD_RESULT (__attribute__((__stdcall__)) *FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACK) (FMOD_SYSTEM *system, FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACK_TYPE type, void *commanddata1, void *commanddata2, void *userdata);

typedef FMOD_RESULT (__attribute__((__stdcall__)) *FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_CALLBACK) (FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL *channel, FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_TYPE controltype, FMOD_CHANNELCONTROL_CALLBACK_TYPE callbacktype, void *commanddata1, void *commanddata2);

As long as I can do something similar to FMOD Studio, even if it’s just the C API, then I should be able to get things up and running!

-Dale Kim