Game Audio and Music: A New Book Covering FMOD and Game Audio Implementation

Hi everyone,

My name is Antonio, and I’m a composer, teacher, and sound designer. I’d like to share a project that has taken me almost two years of work and that I hope might be useful to people in this community.

I’ve recently published Game Audio and Music: Creation, Design, and Integration, a book that explores the game-audio process from both the creative and technical sides.

My goal was to bring the different parts of game audio together in one place: sound and music creation, sound design, interactive and adaptive audio, and, importantly, the implementation of audio into a game.

The book covers FMOD and its integration with Unity with a practical, hands-on approach. It also includes access to a downloadable project, allowing readers to work directly with the project and follow the implementation process rather than simply reading about it.

That practical side was particularly important to me: I wanted readers to be able to experiment with the concepts, understand how the different systems work together, and apply what they learn in an actual project.

The book is aimed at students and people taking their first steps into game audio, but also at composers, sound designers, and developers who want to understand the broader audio pipeline and how its different stages connect.

After almost two years of researching, writing, testing, revising, and putting everything together, it’s very satisfying to finally see the book published.

Since FMOD + Unity form an important part of the practical implementation covered in the book, I thought this community would be an appropriate place to share it.

The book is available in English and Spanish (Creación, diseño e integración de audio y música en videojuegos).

If anyone here takes a look, I’d really appreciate your feedback—especially from people working with FMOD and Unity.

Game Audio and Music: Creation, Design, and Integration

My web: Antonio Villa's Books on Music and Audio Design | Antonio Villa: Music Scoring for Film, Videogames and Commercials

Leanpub: Game Audio and Music [Leanpub PDF/iPad/Kindle]

Amazon: Game Audio and Music: A Complete Guide to Creation, Design, and Integration , Villa, Antonio, eBook - Amazon.com

Creación, diseño e integración de audio y música en videojuegos

My web: Libros | Antonio Villa

Leanpub: Creación, diseño e integración de audio y… [PDF/iPad/Kindle]

Amazon: Amazon.com: Creación, diseño e integración de audio y música en videojuegos: A través de Unity y FMOD (Spanish Edition) eBook : Villa, Antonio: Kindle Store

Thanks for reading!

Antonio

Is it just the front cover of the book that’s made with generative ai, or some of the contents too?

Hi Ed!

Thanks for your comment.

The only things generated using AI were the front and back covers, as well as the voices used for the dialogue (I have to confess I was a bit too embarrassed to record my own voice!).

Everything else is 100% human-made, including all the other audio, which was either created by me or comes from royalty-free sources.

In fact, to ensure the project was as polished and professional as possible, I decided to hire a professional game developer. Working from the game design document I created—which detailed all the requirements and the specific problems I wanted the book to address—they developed the downloadable Unity project and its FMOD integration to a professional standard.

The entire concept, all the educational content, and the overall design of the project were created by me through a demanding—but extremely rewarding—process that has taken almost two years.

Thanks again for your comment, and of course, feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Antonio.

Cool so you’ve put a bunch of time and money into this project so I’m wondering why you’d then cheap out and use AI generated art for the cover page of the whole project? It’s the first thing people will see and, whilst I can only speak for myself, if I see obvious AI art as the front cover of any book my first assumption is that the contents will also be generative slop. As you say, this isn’t the case for the contents of your book, so why would you risk that association instead of hiring someone to make a front cover for you?

That seems completely at odds with the decision to use obvious generative art on the front page imo :man_shrugging:

Sorry to focus in on just that one thing but first impressions and all that… anyway I can see on Amazon there’s a good amount of preview content to read through, so will have a look through if I get some time.

Hi Ed!

Thanks for your reply.

You make a very valid point.

To be honest, I’ve never been the kind of person who judges a book by its cover, so I didn’t really see it as a big deal.

That said, after reading your comment, I realize I may have underestimated how important that first impression can be. I’m definitely going to put some more thought and effort into the cover so that it matches the quality of the rest of the book.

The last thing I’d want is for the cover to give people the wrong impression and undermine all the time and effort that went into bringing this book to life.

Thanks for pointing it out, and I hope you get a chance to have a look through the preview!

Best regards,
Antonio

Lo siento mucho pero es difícil confiar en el contenido del libro con esa portada. Vi el título del post y vine contento a leerlo pero viendo la portada me decepcioné. Quizás no es el feedback que buscabas pero espero que sea útil de todas maneras, éxito.

Hola Salvador,

Gracias por el comentario.

Francamente, nunca pensé que la portada fuese un problema (para mi nunca lo han sido), por eso no le presté demasiada atención.

Con respecto a la confianza en el contenido, bueno, ahora hablo como profesor, te reto a que intentes crear contenido pedagógico serio a través de una IA, verás como pierdes el triple de tiempo (y cordura) para cualquier cosa trivial…¡imagínate un libro!.

En cualquier caso, empiezo a sospechar de que -efectivamente- puede causar una mala impresión inicial, por lo que tomaré medidas. Me da rabia que un esfuerzo tan grande se pueda ir al traste por algo -en mi opinión- tan trivial.

Si decides ir más allá de la portada, como apuntó el compañero de arriba, tienes una buena cantidad de contenido del libro en previsualización, puedes echarle una ojeada libremente y juzgar por ti mismo si el contenido merece la pena.

Un saludo.

Antonio.

Me neither, until generative AI slop started proliferating everywhere :face_vomiting:. I think it’s so prevalent now that it has become synonymous with low effort and poor quality, and it’d be a shame for people to make the same assumption about your work when the solution is simple and, as a bonus, would provide work for a human being.

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I see your point and definitely, I will put some serious effort into the cover art. It would be a shame if it misled people into making wrong assumptions about the book’s content.

I sincerely thank you. You might have saved me from a thousand questions about why my book doesn’t sell, and —not gonna lie— I would have never figured out it was because of the cover.

Hope I can update this post with a brand-new, human-made cover art soon.

Best regards,

Antonio.

gracias por tu respuesta, lo revisaré. Y claro, es una decisión importante de marketing. Está lleno de libros “educativos” que son básicamente AI slop. Entonces si el tuyo es trabajo honesto, que parece serlo, es importante que se note, de lo contrario es tirar por la borda todo el esfuerzo.