Loop single instrument not working? (2.1)

I have an event with a single audio track. I think I’ve set it to loop correctly but it’s only playing once when Play() is invoked in Unity.

I may have misunderstood the manual. I set the Loop instrument control for the sample in the Single Instrument editor.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

This button won’t do anything here. You have to set a loop region in the timeline: right-click on the instrument, “new loop region”. The loop button will only have some uses if you expand the instrument length above its content length (try to expand the instrument length, then toggle the loop button, you’ll understand).
However, for a simple loop without transitions, as it seem to be here, you may want to use the simpler action sheet instead of the timeline sheet. This time, the loop button on the single instrument will do what you expect.

1 Like

This button won’t do anything here. You have to set a loop region in the timeline: right-click on the instrument, “new loop region”.

Perfect, thanks.

The loop button will only have some uses if you expand the instrument length above its content length (try to expand the instrument length, then toggle the loop button, you’ll understand).

Aaaaah! It loops the sample as many times as you’ve asked for within the extended space. Cool. Got it.

However, for a simple loop without transitions, as it seem to be here, you may want to use the simpler action sheet instead of the timeline sheet. This time, the loop button on the single instrument will do what you expect.

I was wondering what 2D Action meant. The tutorials I’ve seen have all been about 2D Timeline (or older versions of FMOD where there isn’t a distinction). For all the SFX I’ve done so far, it sounds like they should all be Actions instead. I’m reading the docs on this bit now.

The action sheet is the new way to do the simple SFX stuff. Lots of tutorials have been made with an older version of FMOD, which didn’t have action sheets at that time (or made by old FMOD users, not used to this new feature!) Take the 3D Action, for a common spatialized SFX.

1 Like

I should probably clarify that the difference in the behavior of the loop instrument toggle button between the action sheet and the timeline is because instruments on the timeline can be asynchronous, and are asynchronous by default.

If you toggle an instrument in the timeline to be synchronous (by selecting it and clicking the “Async” button in the deck), its loop instrument toggle button will behave the same as it does for an instrument on an action sheet: It’ll cause the instrument to loop the number of times specified in its play count, or until it is untriggered if its play count is set to infinite.