Playing a Song from "N" seconds in

Hey,

So sorry if this has been asked before but I can’t seem to find anything relevant in my searches (but feel free to post a link to an existing thread if there is one that I didn’t see!).

Basically, I’ve been working on a music game similar to Rock Band or Guitar Hero. As such, there is a menu screen where players can select a song. I’m in the process of trying to add in a feature where players can preview the song. However, I’m not sure how to start the song from say 30 seconds in as opposed to just playing it from the beginning?

How do I go about doing this in FMOD Studio?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

There are a couple of ways you could do this in Studio. It is, for example, possible to alter the value of an event’s timeline cursor via an API call, which will work if your music is largely based on time-locked sound modules; Alternatively, you could automate each sound module’s start offset position on a parameter, and use that parameter to determine when a song starts. Exactly what will work for you will depend on how your music events are constructed, so I can’t really give any more specific advice than that.

That said, depending on the complexity of your events, you might find it easier just to pre-record a carefully chosen sample of each song, and use those as your previews.