Possible to set an Event Instance to stop itself without affecting other Event Instances of the same type?

Hi,

I’m using a long audio file with separate, distinct notes in it and seeking along the audio file using parameterized Magnet Regions to achieve (a semblance of) interactive music. I tried having a Command Instrument send a Stop Event command but found that that would stop all active events of the type instead of just itself. Is there a way to make the Command Instrument just affect its own instance?

Or a way to make the Event stop after it’s played for a half note another way?

Thanks!

Instead of a command instrument, put a transition to a marker placed after the content. The instance will then stop by itself.

1 Like

@Alcibiade Thank you for your insight! I realized I also had ‘Persistent’ set On in the Event Macros so despite testing I hadn’t been seeing this behaviour Your comment led me to the solution.

Thanks!

1 Like

I should probably clarify that a non-persistent event stops automatically if it is not currently producing any output and there is no further content to the right of the timeline playback position. This means that Alcibiade’s solution will generally work, but may require additional steps if the event includes (for example) a looping instrument on a parameter, or if you want the event to stop immediately rather than to finish playing out its currently playing instruments.

1 Like

I did have magnet regions set up to pull the playback to the correct position so had to introduce another parameter that would untrigger the magnet regions and allow the looping to end. Thanks so much for your insight, Joseph!