WebGL sounds like Mono in Google Chrome

Hi all,

I currently made build for Unity WebGL and it seems like the quality sounded worse in Google Chrome. I also tried in Firefox, it sounded fine but it has worse latency compared to Google Chrome.

Focusing on Google chrome, it seems the audio is in mono mode, although i have everything in stereo.

Any thoughts and helps are appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

What version of FMOD are you using?

Would it be possible to record a Profiler session? Instructions for recording, packaging, and uploading are found under FMOD Studio | Profiling. Could you upload this to your profile, you will have to register a project with us to do so.

Hi there,

My previous version was 2.02.04

I updated to the latest 2.02.15 and the issue still persist.

A little more description :
Google chrome sounded cracking but has no latency issue
Firefox sounded fine but has latency issue

Anyway,
Is there any way to connect the profiler to the webgl build uploaded on itch io? Or profiling the unity editor session is fine?

Thanks

Apologies, I was mistaken. You cannot connect the profiler.

I have been able to produce crackling on Chrome and Firefox. Could I confirm how you are loading the banks in your project? I will link to our documentation which outlines loading the banks for WebGL projects: Unity Integrations | Platforms Specifics - Checking Banks Have Loaded Before Playing.

Would it be possible to get a link to your project to confirm it is the same issue I am experiencing? The link can be DM’d to me.

Hi,

So currently in the main scene I have a script that preloads the bank,
I have set the initialization settings for Load Bank to NONE in FMOD settings.

I will pm you.

1 Like

Hi,

I received email notification about your reply but for some reason it doesnt show here.

Anyway,
My sample rate on the device is the same as you shown me, 24bit 48000hz.

And yes my assets are STREAMING

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the information. After some further investigation, I found I was looking in the wrong place. For your WebGL Platform settings could you change the Output Mode to JavaScript webaudio output and the DSP Buffer Settings to

DSP Buffer Length: 2048
DSP Buffer Count: 2

Hopefully, that will solve the issue.

Hi, I have followed your settings but unfortunately it still sounds the same as previously.

Hi,

Are you still experiencing the crackling or is it just the mono issue now?

https://streamable.com/a9tskn

I have attached a Streamable link for your reference

First half ( 3-4 seconds in ) is from Google Chrome, 2nd half is from Firefox

They both sounded different although is from the same build

Firefox sound would be more preferable

1 Like

Hi,

Would it be possible to test a different audio source, something quieter? Let me know if the issue still persists.

This audio source is part of the game, if this audio source wont sound right then I guess I need to think of using back Unity Audio

Do you have example project for both fmod and unity that works well on webgl?

Would be nice to have a reference

1 Like

Hi Connor,

I think I might have found the problem. The master track fader was set to 6.00dB, I set it to 0 and it sounds clear in chrome.

I find it odd though on why firefox and chrome would sound different.

Moving forward, my next problem would be latency in firefox seems to be higher.

However I do think it’s a browser problem, just trying to ways to fix if there is

Should I open new thread for it?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

Good to hear you found the solution for the audio clipping.

Yes, we have a Unity example which you can download from our GitHub here, it can be uploaded to itchi.io to test:
GitHub - fmod/unity-html5-demo: Demonstration of the correct way to load banks for HTML5 within Unity using the FMOD For Unity integration.

I have noticed a bit of different behavior in the browsers while trying to investigate this issue so I will continue to do so and let you know if I find anything. It will be ok to continue in this thread.