Best use practice for Command Instrument

I’m using command instruments to start events from related events and to reset parameters back to initial values.

The event case works great, the resetting parameters doesnt seem to work as well as I had hoped.
In UE I am setting a triggering an event as an audio component, but once it is finished playing it doesnt reset back to its default values unless expressly told to do so in code. It seems to ignore the command instrument imbedded within the event.

Two questions

1. When is it more beneficial to use a command instrument to start an event in studio rather then in blueprints?

2. Is there an obvious logic error I am making concerning the command instrument and its parameters. It doesnt seem to matter if the parameter is local or global. It responds the same, which is to say it doesnt haha.

Thanks!

The problem with events started with command instrument is that it is “lost”, you do not have further control on that instance, so it’s impossible to change a local parameter affecting this event, for instance (it’s possible to affect it with a global parameter, though).

There’s no simple answer to this question, because whether a start event command instrument is better than an event instrument or just creating a new event instance from code is extremely circumstantial.

This is because the feature of start event command instruments that make them inconvenient is also the feature that makes them useful: Unlike the event instances spawned by an event instrument, the event instances spawned by a start event command instrument are detached from the event instance that spawned them. This means the spawned instance isn’t routed into the spawning instance, doesn’t share its parameter values, doesn’t update its 3D attributes to match changes to the spawning instance’s position after being spawned, doesn’t stop when the spawning instance is stopped, and so on.

One of the more commonly recommended uses of command instruments is to create two events, one containing a scatterer instrument that spawns a few sounds and then ends naturally, and another containing a start event command instrument that is triggered on a loop and spawns instances of the first event. The result is that an instance of the second event will spawn sounds around it as if with a scatterer instrument, but that the scattered event instances will not move with that instance as they normally would. This only works because an event instance spawned by a command instrument inherits the spawning event’s 3D attributes when first created, but does not move thereafter.

Setting global parameters affects all playing event instances that use that global parameter, regardless of how they were started, unless that parameter is set to “hold value during playback.”

Is it possible that the global parameter you tested with is set to hold value during playback? This setting prevents the parameter’s value from being changed after it starts.

1 Like