Create a parameter of the same name in two different events

When I try to create a “Capacity” parameter for two different gun sound effects, FMOD complains about the parameter existing already in the root folder. Is there a fix for this?

If you want to parameters with the same name in multiple different events, there are two ways to achieve that.

The first way is to use the same parameter in multiple different events. All parameters created in FMOD Studio are added to your project’s parameters browser, which can be accessed by selecting “Window > Parameters Browser” in FMOD Studio version 2.03.00 and later, or by selecting “Window > Presets Browser” and then navigating to the parameters tab in earlier versions.

If the parameter is a local parameter, it can have a different value in each event instance in which it appears. Other than that, using a parameter in multiple events means that you only have to set up the parameter’s range and other properties once, saving you from having to do the same work more than once.

The second way is to put the parameters in different folders. As the message you quoted said, the issue is occurring because you are trying to create two parameters with identical names in the same folder. This fails for many of the same reasons that trying to create multiple files with the same name in the same older fails.

In the parameters browser, create a new folder. Then, move the existing parameter into that folder before creating a new parameter with the same name.

Appreciate it! I have a better understanding of parameters now. How do I get the capacity parameter to show up in a different event’s parameter list?

There’s a couple of different ways to do it: You select the event you want to add the parameter to in the events browser, click on the “+” sheet tab in the editor, then select “Add Parameter Sheet” and the parameter you want to add from the menu. You could also select the event you want to add the parameter to in the events browser, then open the parameters browser and drag the parameter into the editor pane.