Custom Speaker Layout?

How do I create a custom speaker layout in FMOD? We’re developing a system with multiple speakers and a traditional sound speaker layout configuration like 7.1 surround sound won’t work for our needs. The only thing I can find is the FMOD Low Level API, but I’m not sure how to implement or initialize it. We’re currently using Unity with FMOD.

Thank You!

Glad I’m not the only one, been looking for some guidance on this!

Hi,

To set up a custom speaker layout in Unity you’ll need to call:

FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CoreSystem.setSpeakerPosition();

How to assign the parameters is explained under Core API | System.

Be aware that setSpeakerPosition only affects Core API panning, it doesn’t affect Studio API panning.

Hope this helps!

Hi!
Thank you so much for your reply, knowing about speakerPosition is very helpful since I am using speakerFormat with SPEAKERMODE.RAW to get 11 speakers running at the same time. I am coding all this in unity but I would like to make this speaker setup visible in FMOD Studio. When you right click on the Panner in FMOD Studio, other speaker setup options show up i.e Mono, Stereo, 5.1, 7.1
I would like mine to show up as 11 or 11.1
How do I make that happen?
And how do you know if speakerFormat and speakerPosition is working?

No worries!

As this is a .CoreSystem function it won’t affect the Studio API. As a result, you won’t be able to view it in FMOD Studio.

Most FMOD Functions will return an FMOD_RESULT which then can be used to debug whether they have successfully run or not. In this case, you would use:

FMOD.RESULT result = FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CoreSystem.setSpeakerPosition()

And check the value of result.

Hope this helps!