Event Browser Audition - New Feature Request

Would it be possible to implement a simple audition for the Event Browser? Its a bit of a pain having to audition your events in the Editor, and then find them in the Event Browser in order to add them to another event.

Even better, do away with the Event Browser altogether and allow copy/pasting or dragging/dropping events all within the Editor window. Having to go through the Event Browser window seems like an extra unnecessary step.

Thanks!
Jesse

When you say “allow copy/pasting or dragging/dropping events all within the Editor window”, this is possible at the moment, though you may lose focus in the Editor. Is this the problem you’re describing?

Copy/pasting an event to a track in another event does not currently seem to work for me. I’m on 1.08.04

Correct, I cant test drag/drop as you lose focus from the parent event when selecting the child event.

I’ve added your request for the ability to audition events in the Event Browser window to our feature/improvement tracker. It will be considered and potentially scheduled for development at our next quarterly roadmap meeting.

In the mean time, note that you can use the ‘open in new window’ context menu item to quickly open events in the event browser window in new event editor windows.

We’ve actually considered changing the way selection works in the event editor to allow easier referencing of events in just the way you describe. I’ll add your name to the list of people interested in this feature.

3 Likes

Thanks Joseph!

Hello from 7 years in the future! Does this cover auditioning events from within the Mixer view as well? Would be a major workflow boon, and space bar isn’t mapped to anything else in this view at present. Seems like an easy win.

Hello from the immediate present, soon to become the past!

You can’t currently audition directly from the mixer, though you can do as Joseph suggested and use “Open in New Window” to quickly open a selected event in the Event Editor from the Mixer.

That said, for a little more convenience, I’ve created a script that will allow you to audition the event currently selected in the Mixer’s Routing/VCA browser. While you can execute the script from the “Scripts” menu, I’ve also bound playing the selected event to Ctrl+Shift+P, and stopping the event played with this script to Ctrl+Shift+[.

studio.menu.addMenuItem({
    name: "Play Selected In Mixer",
    keySequence: "Ctrl+Shift+P",
    isEnabled: function() { return studio.window.browserCurrent() && studio.window.browserCurrent().entity === "MixerInput" },
    execute: function() {
        PlaySelected();
    }
});

studio.menu.addMenuItem({
    name: "Stop Event From Mixer",
    keySequence: "Ctrl+Shift+[",
    execute: function() {
        StopAll();
    }
});

// keeps track of the event being auditioned
var playingEvent = [];

function PlaySelected(){
    // Stop already-playing event
    ClearEvent();

// Get currently selected ManagedObject in browser 
    var mixerInput = studio.window.browserCurrent();
    // Make sure it contains an event and is therefore a mixer input
    if (mixerInput && mixerInput.event){
        // Open event in Event Editor and play it
        studio.window.navigateTo(mixerInput.event);
        mixerInput.event.play();

// Cycle back to mixer
        studio.window.triggerAction(studio.window.actions.WindowCycle);

// Track event being auditioned to stop it without going through the whole project etc.
        playingEvent.push(mixerInput.event);
    }

}

function StopAll(){
    ClearEvent();
}

function ClearEvent(){
    if (playingEvent.length != 0){
        playingEvent.forEach(function(event){
            event.stopImmediate();
        });
        playingEvent.length = 0;