FMOD analysis and expose parameters

Hi guys !

I was thinking, is there a way to expose parameters based on the audio output of FMOD.

Like, could we imagine that we select a group in FMOD studio and say expose the mean volume of that as a parameter in Unity or Unreal ?
Or even better, something that does computations about this audio signal and extract audio features (like spectral flatness, high frequency content etc…) and expose this computed feature as a parameter ? If that does not exist here, does it exist somewhere else ?

Yes.

You can control nearly any property of any event, instrument, effect, snapshot, bus, and track that appears in FMOD Studio using parameters, and can set the values of these parameters from your game’s code, or via any engine integration. Parameter-based control is the most commonly-used method of making your game’s sound react dynamically to your game’s state. You can read about the many ways parameters can be used in our documentation here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here, as well as in a few other places.

FMOD Studio’s built-in profiler has a variety of tools for monitoring your project’s behavior when auditioned in FMOD Studio, as well as the audio-related behavior of your game as it runs. For more information, see here and here.

If you’re looking for a way to expose this information to your game, we may or may not be able to help, depending on what you’re looking for. Is there anything specific you need for your game project?

Oh thank you for the detailed answer! :slight_smile: I think I didn’t understand that parameters could also be modified by the audio, I will try this soon.

I do not have a specific request, I mostly do experiments for now.

But for instance, if I want to move something in my game according to the spectral centroid of an audio from FMOD (like a group), would this be possible ?

As of the time of writing (January of 2021), the spectral centroid of FMOD Studio’s audio is not currently exposed and so cannot be used in a game.