FMOD for Unity: Integration tutorial - Karting Microgame Tutorial ERROR: "The version number of this file format is not supported"

I’ve been going through the steps listed in the FMOD For Unity: Integration Tutorial (https://www.fmod.com/unity-integrate). Everything was going swimmingly until I reached step 71:

71. Select the *.fspro file within the FMOD Studio project folder, as created earlier.

After building the FMOD project and selecting the appropriate .fspro file within Unity, I am receiving the following console error every second, or so:

FMOD Studio: Encounterd Error: ERR_VERSION The version number of this file format is not supported. 
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
FMODUnity.EditorUtils:CheckResult(RESULT) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EditorUtils.cs:25)
FMODUnity.EventManager:UpdateCache() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:157)
FMODUnity.EventManager:RefreshBanks() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:37)
FMODUnity.EventManager:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:669)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:310)

Versions

Mac: Catalina 10.15.7
Unity: 2019.4.13f1 Personal
FMOD: 2.01.05, 64-Bit
FMOD For Unity: 2.00.10

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I solved my own problem. I’m documenting it here for anyone else who encounters this issue.

So, at the time I’m writing this, the latest version of FMOD For Unity available via the Unity Asset Store is 2.00.10. I just checked FMOD’s download page (https://www.fmod.com/download) and discovered that FMOD has released versions of the plugin up to Version 2.01.05.

I’m not sure why the latest version is not available in the Unity Asset Store, but I closed Unity and manually removed directories:

Assets / Gizmos / FMOD
Assets / Plugins / FMOD

I then reopened the Unity project, downloaded the latest version of FMOD For Unity directly from FMOD’s website, opened the file with Unity and imported the FMOD For Unity assets into my project. Voila! The error is gone and I can continue with the tutorial.

Advice for FMOD

BTW, if anyone from FMOD reads this, you should update instruction #63 in the Karting Tutorial to direct users to the FMOD For Unity download page just to ensure that they have the latest version. The current instructions states:

1. Search for “FMOD for Unity”. (Alternatively, it’s also possible to navigate to FMOD for Unity in your browser.)

Thanks for the feedback, there has been a significant lag in getting our versions verified by Unity. We are currently waiting for 2.01.05 to be verified as our next store update. I’ll update our documentation to include information about versions and how to download from our website.

Sure thing!