FMOD Studio: Encountered Error: ERR_VERSION The version of this file format is not supported

Hello,

I am a music composer in the process of learning how to use FMOD and Unity. I’ve successfully set up both programs, and run the music through FMOD, however when I try to open the project in Unity, I get the following error:

“FMOD Studio: Encountered Error: ERR_VERSION The version of this file format is not supported.”

I imagine I will have to import a different FMOD integration package, but I have no idea which version. Also I’m not sure how to delete previous packages? (When I try to delete the “packages” folder or anything contained within it, the delete option is greyed out).

When I downloaded all these programs I simply got the latest version of each, so I’m confused as to why there is a version problem…

Here are the versions I’m working with:

Unity: version 2019.3.0a3 (personal)

FMOD studio: 2.00.01

FMOD integration package: 2.00.01 (early access)

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!!

The first thing to try would be manually deleting the banks from both the StreamingAssets folder and the Studio build directory.

If that doesn’t work, close Unity and manually delete the plugin folder (Assets/Plugins/FMOD) then re-import it.

Thank you for your reply- I manually deleted FMOD and imported a different FMOD integration package (11013_v2) and the FMOD tab reappeared.

The problem now is that when I go to assign the FMOD event to a game object (add component-> FMOD Studio event emitter), when I search for the linked FMOD event it tells me “No FMOD Studio banks loaded. Please check your settings”. I have assigned the event to the master bank in FMOD and clicked “Build”, then refreshed banks in the FMOD tab in Unity.

No error messages at this point, but there is the little speech bubble with the “!” in it at the bottom, saying “FMOD Studio: Creating editor system instance”.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

12%20AM

Also here is what my FMOD settings are showing:

I am able to link the Unity integration to the Studio project without any issues.

Can you share the entire Unity Console Log file?

This is all that shows up when I open the file:

That is just the console window, is there any more info in the actual log file:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Gotcha, I think… is this it? The Console utility has this repeated every few seconds:

That will be the file, are you able to share the entire file?
You can send it to support@fmod.com if you prefer.

Just sent the .log file to that email

1. The ERR_VERSION was caused by using banks built from version 2.0 in 1.10 API.

2. The 2.0 Integration would not load because of a bug in the code, which has been fixed for an upcoming release and can be found on our github:

Ok. Is there a way of downloading the file you linked (do I need to log in to GitHub?), or do I need to wait for the upcoming release?

I don’t think you can download an individual file. You will need to edit the file (using Notepad will work) to either make the fix which is just adding a ‘+’ to two lines. Or you can copy the code from the entire file and paste it over the code from your current file.

I’ve really never done anything like that before, and I would most likely do it wrong. I’ll wait for the update, I suppose.
I appreciate your help, thank you.

Michael

No problem, the next release should be less than a week away. You could always use the 2.00.00 Integration until then.

Hi Cameron, I was wondering when the next release of the FMOD/Unity integration package will be available?

If its not for a while, I’m wondering if you could help me fix the file I have like you were mentioning in the previous emails? The way you explained it seems like an easy fix, but I have zero coding skills (I’m a composer)… also I couldn’t find “Notepad” on my MacBook. I see Notes, TextEdit and Terminal, is it possible to use those programs to find the lines in question and add ‘+’ to them?

I appreciate your help, I’m coming up on an important opportunity and I need to make an FMOD/Unity integration demo for a client.

Thanks!

Michael

1.10.14 & 2.00.02 are now available to download.
https://www.fmod.com/download

Hello again,

While I couldn’t get the FMOD tab to appear in Unity when using the 2.00.02 version package, the tab appears with 1.10.14. I was able to successfully link my FMOD project to a game object in Unity, but now when I click the play button there is no sound (I’ve checked that all of my settings are set to the right audio outputs, and that FMOD is set to “Desktop”). When I click stop, Unity freezes consistently every time I do this.

I’m going to try installing a different version of Unity (I currently have 2019.0.0a3 installed). **Can you point me to a version of Unity that should work with FMOD 1.10.14? **

Thank you again

Michael

The 1.10 integration will work with all fully released Unity versions back to 5.0.
The 2.0 integration will work with Unity 2017.4 onwards.

The alpha and beta releases, signified by the ‘a’ or ‘b’ in the version number, are not guaranteed to be supported. That being said, I don’t have any issue testing 2.00.02 in Unity 2019.3.0a4.

If you don’t see the FMOD menu it will likely be caused by a compile error, check the unity console window for errors.

Cameron I just wanted to say I am extremely grateful for your help. You were very timely and patient in your responses and of course enormously helpful. I am not a programmer and this entire process could have been enough to make me quit, but your assistance got me to the finish line.

I hope you get the recognition you deserve. Feel free to quote me on any of this.

Cheers,

Michael

1 Like