Getting Microphone Data in Blueprint

FMOD allows you to get metering data for your signal, but there’s currently no way to do so using just the blueprint - you’ll need to use code, either instead of or alongside blueprints.

This has two components - the “record” example included with ther FMOD Engine installer at ./api/core/examples shows how you can record your microphone into an FMOD sounds. If you want to combine this with FMOD Studio functionality, you’ll need to use a programmer instrument, and pass this sound to your event instance using the appropriate callback - see the “programmer sound” example in ./api/studio/examples for an example of this.

Then, to get the metering data, you’ll need to enable metering and grab the info from a DSP that the audio signal is passing through, which involves the following:

1. Get a channel or channel group - if you’re using the Studio API, you can get this from an event instance or bus using the appropriate function, such as Studio::EventInstance::getChannelGroup
  2. Get a DSP from that channel/channel group i.e. ChannelControl::getDSP
  3. Enable metering for that DSP with DSP::setMeteringEnabled
  4. Get the metering info with DSP::getMeteringInfo

I’m unsure as to the specifics of what you need, but this is a topic that other users have asked about, so I would recommend using the forum search to see what you can find that helps in your specific case - i.e. Search results for 'metering unreal' - FMOD Forums

For example, here’s some psuedocode that gets the metering info of the entire system output can be found in this forum post: Loudness meter Unreal 4 Integration? - #3 by cameron-fmod