Google resonance sounds muffled

Hi!
I wanted to use resonance for 3d audio, but for me it kinda high cuts the sounds I play.
I followed the instructions of the resonance docs, the 3d spatialisation works, but the sound is very muffled. The oculus spatializer is a lot crispier, but unfortunately it does not support linux. (is there even any other way to get 3d audio with fmod?)
Did I make a mistake or is it just this way?

Thanks,
Th

Hi Th,

That is just the way the Google Resonance plugin sounds. You can use the FMOD 3D Object Spatializer instead if you are looking for a cross platform solution that also runs on Linux.

Wow, if this was actually intended I think the guys who made that google plugin really wasted their time since every other solution (oculus, steam audio, wwise) sounds 1000x better ^^

The problem I have with the fmod spatializer is that fmod does not support actual binaural panning, only “real” surround which even if virtualised using the sound driver does not come close to the known hrtf stuff :frowning:

For what it’s worth, it turned out that this wasn’t “just the way the Google Resonance plugin sounds”. There was a bug causing a bunch of occlusion to be applied to all sources, leading to everything sounding muffled. We had to author many assets with extra high-end to compensate. The bug has now been fixed in FMOD Studio 2.0.

1 Like

Tested FMOD 2.00.03 again; still sounds like occlusion is applied. :confused:

Out of curiosity, how are you testing the Google Resonance plugin? If you’re doing it in the editor, have you tried moving the event emitter in the 3D preview on the right hand side of the event editor? The Resonance plugin needs to be in front of the listener to hear it properly, it considers being inside or on top of the listener to be occluded.

Just to make things simple:

I also tried the latest beta version of steam audio for FMOD which sounds A LOT better (does not work in FMOD 2 tho).

Unfortunately that is how Google Resonance sounds. It sacrifices some audio quality in order to provide a more accurate spatialization effect. If you’re having more luck with Steam’s solution then I would recommend switching to that one.