Help with vehicle sounds (Granular)

Hello, I need your help. Let’s get straight to the point: I’m making a game called Prison Break, where you play as either a cop or a bandit. Bandits rob banks, etc. The police catch them. The thing is that we have problems with car sounds, I wanted to add a granular system for cars, but no ready-made solution worked, and I can’t write it myself because I don’t understand how exactly it works. , how to write a plugin for FMOD and so on. I don’t want to use the Loop system, because the sound is extremely poor quality and disgusting. I hope for your response and help. What ready-made options are there, or does anyone have open source options (for a port for Android and Windows)?

The easiest ready-made option that works are runtime would be to use the AudioMotors2 plugin by LeSound, a trial version of which ships with FMOD Studio. You can trial using it in your project by right clicking on an event’s audio track and selecting Add Plug-in Instrument → AudioGaming → AudioMotors 2, which will add the plugin to the audio track. If you wish to acquire a license, I would recommend emailing sales@fmod.com about it for more information.

Alternatively, you may wish to consider using external granular vehicle sound generators to generate assets for FMOD to play.

AudioMotors2 was officially closed. And besides, I don’t know how to make sound in pdb format (this has already been asked on this forum, but the person was not given a clear answer). If this method worked I wouldn’t ask.

I wouldn’t count out loops as a lot of the biggest studios use them for their engines! While granular is often used in the loop creation process, I think you’d find it difficult and resource-hungry to do granular engine synthesis on the fly.
I’d also encourage you to think how important the car engine sounds are to the sonic palette of the game. It may end up getting mixed down in volume a lot because hearing the cops’ sirens or other world sounds may be more important. Just a thought :smiley: best not to invest time/money when it may not be that bad!
Something like this would likely more than enough for the player to get the gist of the car’s RPM. If you wanted to get more complex you could layer more sounds triggered by different load values of the car.
Hope that helps!

I can recommend CrankcaseAudio Rev although it is very expensive. But the sound analysis is very great. I would pair looped samples with a granular synth. You can get best of both worlds. You just have to write your own logic to hear more of the looped samples or granular synth depending on the situation.

I’m just afraid that if I use the Loop system, it will sound like Assetto Corsa (like the sound of a “Lawn Mower”).

CrankcaseAudio Rev is a very bad option, because on paper it looks amazing, but when it comes to integrating it into the game, you are faced with a huge number of pitfalls. One example is that on their website it says that FMOD is supported, but in fact I never found its implementation. The second pitfall is that when I found an implementation for Unity on their Github, it never started no matter what I did, and I never found information on the topic, since they also have a closed code. The third has to do with Wwise and their policy regarding indie developers.

Thank you for the answers and ideas provided, there may be translation typos since I communicate via Google Translate

I also recommend revisiting loops, which are very useful. I shipped a driving game last year using FMOD, and some of our engines used REV (as suggested above) while other engines used loops I created.

Through trial and error, I found the best way to use loops in FMOD for engine sfx is to:

1. create several loops at different RPMs/speeds (I will explain this later)
  2. load them into a parameter sheet, with each loop on its own audio track
  3. use either the Autopitch effect on each track, or automate the Pitch value of the audio regions yourself (EDIT: to be extra clear, do NOT use the Pitch Shifter effect; automate the Pitch value of the audio region itself)

Both pitch shifting methods will speed up (or slow down) your audio files as the parameter’s value increases (or decreases). If you already have a few loops at different speeds (for example: low RPM, medium RPM and high RPM), it will be much easier to blend the starting & ending pitches of each region where they fade in & out, which can create a seamless (and convincing) engine sound.

thanks for the advice!