How to best troubleshoot ERR_OUTPUT_INIT?

Hello.

We have a handful of users with ERR_OUTPUT_INIT.
We have disabled the Unity audio system.
We’re on the latest Unity integration now, but the first report came from version 2.01.07.
Log level is set to Warning.
They’re all on Windows 10. (Not saying much, as that it’s the most widely used among our users.)

The log entry is this:
FMODUnity.SystemNotInitializedException: [FMOD] Initialization failed : Output forced to NO SOUND mode : ERR_OUTPUT_INIT : Error initializing output device.

At least one user reported going through the usual troubleshooting of updating audio drivers and switching between different outputs.

What I would appreciate is some info on how to better troubleshoot this:

• Is there some way to get more logging info out of this init call? If, how?
  • Is there an API call to query what kind of audio hardware FMOD recognizes (or doesn’t)? If there isn’t, what’s a useful tool to have the user run to get more hardware and operating systems info to troubleshoot this?

Basically: What can we do to find out if this is either a specific problem with some audio driver or if it’s a specific problem with FMOD or operating system config?

This is what that one user tried on their end:

“Headphone out from motherboard / Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX, Realtek ALC1220-VB codec
Audio pass through on USB microphone / Shure MV7
And a weird one, headphones or speakers through audio out on Xbox One controller, connected with the wireless adapter”

To maximise logging information, you can enable API Error Logging in the FMOD Unity settings and ship with logging libs in the “audiotest” branch- with Unity this is just a case of doing a development build. Then the user can send you their Unity player log in “C:\Users\{username}\AppData\LocalLow{CompanyName}{GameName}\Player.log”. And if you can pass that to us as well we can help you decipher it.

You can use System::getOutput to retrieve the current audio output device’s type- but I’m not sure that is entirely what you are looking for. As far as user tools go, a dxdiag will give you all their hardware specs and might give you some insight into any exotic setup they may have.

It might be worth asking them to disable exclusive mode on their audio output device and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I think just getting their player logs would be a good start.

Thanks so much for this info.

The user tried toggling off allowing the exclusive mode and from then on the audio worked, even when setting back to allowing exclusive mode.

So I don’t have a log about the actual error. But we’re better prepared now for any future problems.

1 Like