How to Speed Up music/sound without changing its pitch?

Hi all, been researching about it this past couple days, but can’t find a solution, is there a way to do this using FMOD in Unity? like the one in youtube, if you speed up the video, the sound pitch will stay the same? any help would really appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi Romi,

You can achieve this by having the components of your music event broken into one-shot individual instruments (ie. a kick instrument, a snare, etc.). Then you can automate the pitch of the event to rise and the individual instruments’ pitch to lower at the same rate. This way the playback position will trigger the individual instruments faster, whilst the instruments maintain their original pitch.

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for responding, I’ve tried your suggestion, but it just nullify the speed change. So basically I added pitch automation to master track (event) with value from 0st up to 10st, and then I added pitch automation to each track with value from 0st up to -10st, and when I play the event, and start ramping up the parameter, the speed doesn’t seem to change. Did I do wrong somewhere in the step?

Thanks

Romi

Hi Romi,

As mentioned, this only works if you break up the music into multiple one-shot instruments. For example, instead of a drum track, have the drum’s kick, snare, etc. as single instruments.

If you increase the event’s pitch but decrease a music instrument’s pitch then they will just play at its original pitch.

If you want to see an example of something similar in action, take a look at the music/cassette events in our Celeste example project.

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for helping, I’ve did those steps actually, breaking down the music into component, and setup all those individual pitch as well the event pitch, the music plays its original pitch indeed, but there are no speed up at the end.

We finally decided to use Unity built in audio, and we successfully create this effect with its pitch shifter.

Thanks again, and regards,

Romi

Hi Romi,

It’s odd that this setup does not work as expected.

You can use a similar feature with FMOD by having a Pitch Shifter effect on the master track and automating the event’s pitch at the same time as the Pitch Shifter. It is best when done with small amounts.

Thanks,
Richard

Hey there, Richard!

I know I’m kinda late on the topic but could you tell me where exactly is that automation example in Celeste’s example project? I’ve been trying to check that out, since I’m trying to achieve the same goal as Romi, but I’m not seeing any kind of pitch automation neither on the events nor on the on shots.

Thanks,
Marco

In the Celeste project, check out one of the cassette events (such as music/cassette/01_forsaken_city). The “sixteenth_note” parameter sheet shows off how to set up a music parameter like this. Due to the size of the parameter it will be a bit laggy, so if you look at the timeline parameter sheet and add a 6s velocity to the sixteenth_note parameter dial you can hear it playing out.

Thanks a lot Richard! I’m gonna give it a proper look!