Loading plugin 'resonanceaudio' fails for one user only

I have a game that was launched on Steam last year and last updated over a month ago. Thousands of people have played it without problem. But now one user can’t play the game due to this error:

SystemNotInitializedException: FMOD Studio initialization failed : Loading plugin ‘resonanceaudio’ from ‘D:/遊戲/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Eye of the Temple/EyeOfTheTemple_Data/Plugins/resonanceaudio.dll’ : ERR_FILE_NOTFOUND : File not found.
at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CheckInitResult (RESULT result, System.String cause) [0x00000] in :0
at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.LoadPlugins (FMODUnity.Settings fmodSettings) [0x00000] in :0
at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.Initialize () [0x00000] in :0
at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in :0

The user has checked and the resonanceaudio.dll file IS present in the indicated folder - FMOD just can’t find the file even though it does exist.

What could cause this one user to get this issue when nobody else is? Does FMOD perhaps not correctly handle file paths with uncommon unicode characters in it (like the Chinese characters in the path here)?

I have tested a Desktop Unity game that uses resonance audio and it’s working for me when placed in a directory with “遊戲” and other unicode characters in the path. What version of FMOD are you using?

After I posted this, the user tried reinstalling the game, but with the same issue persisting. Then they tried reinstalling it in a different folder without Chinese characters and then the issue did not happen and the game worked fine.

This is with FMOD Studio 1.10.05. Upgrading to a supported version is not possible since the game is based on Unity 5.6.6 and the supported versions of FMOD don’t support that Unity version.

However, it sounds like perhaps the issue has been resolved in a newer version of FMOD, since you could not reproduce it.

Thanks for the extra info- there have been a lot of unicode related fixes since 1.10.05 so that would explain why I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue. If this were to become a big problem then it might be worth updating Unity to at least 2017.4 and updating FMOD to 2.01.