Local Seq. trouble

using a multi instrument wiht a local sequence playlist to make a button sound different when activated and deactivated.
in fmod and in game, local sequence only plays ‘sound A’
when i switch to global sequence, in fmod and in game, the playlist advances between ‘sound A’ and sound B’
unfortunately, the scene has several machines with the same button (and button sound) on each. global sequence won’t fly in this setting.

what do i need to do to make my 2-sound multi instrument progress through its local sequence playlist in the way i expect it to?

Multi instruments are not the appropriate tool for this task. They are designed to introduce variation in sound in order to avoid repetition, and also to play complex sequences of sounds. They are not designed to choose which of several sounds to play depending on the circumstances; for that, FMOD Studio provides other tools.

However, you do not need those tools in this situation, either. There is a far simpler solution.

The scenario you describe has two distinct circumstances in which a sound can be produced: A button is toggled on, and a button is toggled off. You want each of these circumstances to have different and non-overlapping behavior: When a button is toggled on, you want to play sound A; and when a button is toggled off, you want to play sound B.

It would therefore be easiest to create two different events in FMOD Studio: One which plays sound A, and one which plays sound B. When a button is toggled on or off, play an instance of the event appropriate to that circumstance.

a very simple answer indeed. my project is going through a specific sequence with each ‘a’ and ‘b’ representing a larger, intersecting whole.

my question was, if you’ll recall, ‘what do i need to do to make my 2-sound multi instrument progress through its local sequence playlist in the way i expect it to?’

why is local sequence not functioning as the manual describes it to?

If you want a local sequential multi instrument to play one of its entries when triggered and then a different entry when triggered again at a later time, both triggerings must occur within the same event instance.

It is functioning as the manual describes it to. If you look at the playlist selection mode entry in the glossary, you will see the text “In sequential - local scope mode, items in the playlist are selected for playback in the order in which they are listed. Only items selected within the same event instance are taken into account, so a new instance of an event always starts by selecting the first item in the playlist.”