I have a content creator trying to add new audio banks in a DLC pack that is not loaded at start up (only if a user selects it), and while the sounds play in FMOD Studio, they do not play in game. I have tried to replicate their workflow and have also found that no sound is played in game.
- Open our game’s FMOD project which is used to build all the base-game banks
- Add a new Bank
- Add a new Event to this bank
- Add an asset to this Event. A simple .wav file
at this point, I can press “Play” in FMOD Studio and hear my event just fine
- Build my new bank
- Engine loading flow:
loadBankFileusing the DLC Bank’s PATH, this results in
- new bank calls
loadSampleData, this results in
- later, when the event is triggered, call
getEvent, this returns
- Use this retrieved event to call
createInstance, this returns
- Use this instance to call
start, this returns
- in a ticking method, call
getPlaybackState, this returns
FMOD_STUDIO_PLAYBACK_PLAYINGat first, but eventually returns
Despite all this, no sound is heard in-game. My best guess is that there are some hooks or something that have to do with needing to side load a new version of the Master Bank?
I have tried (independently):
- Assigning my new bank as the “master bank” and building that, including the
[name].strings.bankfiles, and load these. They all load with
- Building the entire project and including my new bank files and the original master_bank files (though these run into problems where
FMOD_ERR_EVENT_ALREADY_LOADED, despite the fact that
FMOD_ERR_EVENT_NOTFOUND. I take this to be an ramification of a different PATH (DLC directory) but an identical GUID.
Am I missing something crucial here? Why is
FMOD_OK if no audio actually starts? How is it tracking play state if nothing is playing?
I’ve tried to leverage the FMOD Studio Live Update feature, but this quickly crashes with
Exception thrown at 0x00007FF81B2A44CD (fmodstudio.dll) in MyGame.Windows.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000030.
I feel like this is a very simple process but that I’ve got something small out of alignment. Any suggestions extremely appreciated!