Old FMOD versions and open source

Hi, I (along with others) am working on an open source update of an old game that used FMOD 3.75. When the game was released as OSS some work was done to swap it to gorilla audio for licensing reasons, but we’d like to swap it back as FMOD is significantly better. We’d eventually like to upgrade to newer versions of FMOD of course, but for now we just want to get original functionality back in place with an old FMOD version.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. Would it be possible to get access to FMOD 3.75 (or whatever the nearest available version is)

2. Looking at licensing text we found for the old version, my impression is that we’d be unable to use this version in a public repository. Is there a way to rectify this problem, or do we have to move to a newer version of FMOD in order to use it for an open source project?
    The potentially problematic files, from my understanding, are:

fmod_vc.lib
fmod.h
fmod_errors.h
fmoddyn.h

Thank you for your time

Hi Gareth,
We sometimes give access to FMOD Ex, but we dont even host FMOD 3.75 any more!
I would suggest just updating the FSOUND_ FMUSIC_ functions to use FMOD Studio core_api functions, they are pretty similar. It probably would take a very short amount of time to do some search / replace and fixing up parameter lists. If you need help with this let me know and I can answer any questions.
regards,
Brett

Hi Brett,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We’ll definitely upgrade to newer stuff as soon as we can, but with an old codebase like this everything is slow going so it may be a few weeks or months instead of days. Until we do upgrade though, I want to be sure we’re not breaking any rules or licensing agreements by having any of the old FMOD 3.75 files in our repo.

Thanks again,
Gareth

Hi Gacyr,

I’ve been doing a bit of work improving gorilla audio recently, so you might consider that as an option. (If there’s any functionality in particular you need, feel free to give a holler.)

Another option, also open source, is soloud.

Hi Elrond,

Cool stuff, thanks for your hard work! We’re pretty locked into FMOD now, but it’s good to know that, should we ever need to change, there are great open source options still being actively worked on and updated.
Hope your work on the project goes well :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Gacyr