Programming sounds are not being played in PS4 until the end randomly

Hi,

We have a dialogue system made with programming sounds that is working fine in all the platforms but sometimes in PS4 some of the lines are not being played until the end and I cannot figure out why. The format is correct for PS4 (AT9), the events are async with programmer instruments and it doesn’t happen all the time. I have no clue why it is happening so I would appreciate any help that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Let me add some extra information since I’ve been making some tests. I thought that it might be related to the latency so I made a few builds with different DSP Buffer and count values, with a value of 256 it seems that there are a little bit less cuts but I am not sure and I cannot go any lower. I also tried to load all the sample data at the beginning but it didn’t make any difference.

I am getting a lot of warnings about possible delays (Loading delay exceeded, sound may play at incorrect time/Attempting to schedule a sound in the past, this could cause inaccurate playback) but I think that the cuts are when it actually says the actual milliseconds

-Event {c30c86f9-0d68-4a5c-bb2b-547232556401} waited 3409 milliseconds for sample data to load. Preload sample data to avoid this delay

What it seems to be happening is that if the event takes some time to start it takes that delay as if it were playing at end the sound when the original time is up. Either way I need the complete audio and with as less latency as possible, the same that is working in XB1 and PC.

Thank you for your help.

Are you able to avoid this by loading the bank sample data before using the event at all?

No, I tried but it didn’t work. I got it working more or less but that was only because the build I tested was in Development mode, in Test it happens less often and is less noticeable. It is not a fix but at least it seems manageable.

Recording a capture with the Studio Profiler can provide a lot of information about CPU/memory usage, lifetimes and sample loading times. https://www.fmod.com/resources/documentation-studio?version=2.0&page=profiling.html