Recommended way to make dry signal silent when using return bus?

I’m experimenting with a special effect where something starts like a conventional reverb (or convolution reverb), so initially some of the wet signal is heard via the return bus, but I want the dry signal to transition and completely go silent while the 100% wet reverb is still heard via return.

Part of the intent here is to save on resources with sharing a return, instead of doing manual automation with different reverb instances in separate events.

Is there a recommended way to do this?

We recommend adjusting the volumes of the fader and send of the bus or track from which the signal is sent to the return bus. Provided the send is to the left (“upstream”) of the fader, adjusting the fader will not affect the volume of the send, thus allowing you to duck the fader (dry) volume down to -oo dB while adjusting the send (wet) volume up to 0 dB.

If you’re sending from a track of an event, you’ll need to use parameter automation or modulation to do this; if you’re sending from a group bus in the mixer, you’ll need to use a snapshot, possibly with an AHDSR modulator or automation on its intensity.

1 Like

I think this is the key part I was mentally missing when trying to think through routing, and should experiment with in practice.

THANK YOU for clearly stating what’s required.

I think I’ve got it right here? order matters.

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 3.50.27 PM

That’s right. The signal flows from left to right through a signal chain, so if you were to put the fader to the left of the send, the fader would adjust the volume of the signal that passes though the send, and thus indirectly affect the volume of the signal sent by the send. If you put the fader to the right of the send (as in your screenshot), the signal that passes through the send is the signal that has not yet been affected by the fader.

1 Like