Is there a way to adjust the dry sound gain?

I know FMOD_DSP_TYPE_SFXREVERB has the FMOD_DSP_SFXREVERB_WETLEVEL parameter, and it’s been very useful.
But what I’m asking here is a way to make a dry sound come forward while maintaining the same (or similar) wet level.
Let’s say you and your friend are in a cave.
We can simulate the place by adjusting all the parameters including the wet level.
But if your friend starts talking looking at you, you’ll hear their dry voice more, and this is what I want to simulate.

What is the best way to achieve this with the lowest overhead and without any signal doubling issues?

Maybe you should retrieve the “forward” vector of Studio.EventInstance.get3DAttributes and automate (in your code) a slight increase of FMOD_DSP_SFXREVERB_DRYLEVEL, the more this vector is oriented towards the player?

EDIT : in fact, there’s a much simpler solution: instead of implementing this in the code, you can do the automation in FMOD by using the built-in parameter “Event Cone Angle”

1 Like

Maybe I’m blind or stupid.

FMOD_DSP_SFXREVERB_DRYLEVEL

How could I miss that?
I’ve been using FMOD_DSP_TYPE_SFXREVERB for so long, and I thought I knew everything about it, so haven’t read the manual, and that’s why…
So, adjusting FMOD_DSP_SFXREVERB_DRYLEVEL only will solve my problem without any volume issues, right?

Thank you very much.
For some reason, I’m using FMOD_2D and implementing all the logic programmatically.
So your other suggestions are not valid this time.
But again, thanks a lot!

In fact, I was assuming you inserted the reverb as an effect in the effect chain of the event (or track). But if you’re using the reverb as a bus, you’ll indeed double the dry signal by setting the reverb dry level to something more than -inf. But this may not be a problem if the main signal and the reverb dry signal are strictly equivalent (if there’s no other effect after the reverb send).
However, putting the reverb send before the volume fader and automating the volume fader (instead of the reverb dry level, which should remain to -inf) will also do the trick without doubling the signal.

Concerning volume issues, in my tests (in the video), with a kind of standard cave reverb, I had to set a huge increase in Dry Level to be noticeable (±20 dB), so this will cause a globally louder volume at that moment, but that’s what you want. If the global mixer balancing is good, it shouldn’t cause some problems.