Studio in desperate need of auto backup system

I’m not sure if this is a known bug or some sort of corruption we have lurking in the base of our project that keeps rearing its ugly head, but lately we’ve been experiencing varying degrees of unreliability within our project. What happens is that you’ll be working within one event and then suddenly you click on another event. Boom - instant crash. This seems to always be the cause. Now sometimes you’ll open it up again and you’ll be fine for the rest of the day. Other times this same cycle will plague you all day - work for 15 minutes on one event, click on another event - boom.

The last time this happened I lost about an hour’s worth of work. Yes, I know, shame on me for having worked that long without saving but saving a Studio project is no longer simply hot key combo and move on. The new save/sync feature (as nice as it is staying current) keeps you waiting, sometimes for dozens of seconds. While I know this isn’t the end of the world it does force me to be more strategic with my saves.

What would be nice is to have a backup system in place that could keep track of the work you’re doing locally by saving a backup of the local project without syncing to the main project, reserving save and syncs for when you’re ready to submit.

You can save your changes locally without syncing. Just select ‘Save’ from the ‘File’ menu. When you next synchronise, merge and commit, the changes you’ve saved will be sync’d and merged, along with any new ones you’ve made since then.

That said, we also have plans to implement automatic periodic autosaving, similar to what exists in FMOD Designer 2010. Unfortunately, saving currently takes quite some time and can’t be done in the background, so we need to improve and optimize the process somewhat before we can release that feature without it regularly interrupting your workflow.

Thanks for the reply. Synced or un-synced you touched on the point I was trying to make - saving takes a long time and does interrupt workflow (I assumed it was syncing which is why it took so long).

So yeah, autosave and fast save would be great features (if you want to consider them features ;).

Incidentally, we have sped up saving in version 1.02, but there’s still a fair way to go before we can implement background autosaving.