Suggestion: Multiband Compressor?

It would be great to be able to have a multiband compressor, especially on the master bus. Is there a reason why this isn’t a feature?

Yes: We haven’t developed one yet.

You’re not the first person to request this feature, so it’s already on our feature/improvement tracker. I’ll add your name to the list of people interested in it.

5 Likes

Thank you for the quick response, Joseph!

Cheers, that’s great.

A multi-band compressor would be especially powerful with sidechaining, and unlinked on top of that. Then you could do really transparent, directional sidechain ducking.

We have an in-house multi-band sidechain compressor DSP for FMOD Studio at Avalanche Studios. But it’s not being used much because it turned out quite expensive to use. It involved quite a large number of highpass and lowpass filters to separate a surround signal (7 channels) into 4 bands.

2 Likes

That’s the challenge! Getting it to run smoothly is the big problem I would assume.

As you said, it would be a very powerful tool!

Add me to the list too please Joseph.

Done.

1 Like

Can you please add me to the list too, @joseph ? I went a-lookin’ and this is also of interest to me!

If we can get behavior verging on the mighty Trackspacer | Create space in your mix | Audio plugin — everyone who sees this and has used it knows what I’m talking about, as it goes beyond typical sidechain ducking — for elegant transparency, that would have tremendous value. :slight_smile:

I’ve added you to the list.

1 Like

I made a pretty useful one just by separating the audio into frequency bands (adjustable crossover of course) then compressing the desired frequency and summing it all up. It works like a charm for me.

1 Like

Could you add me to the list as well? Thanks!

Consider it done.

2 Likes

Add me to the list too please ?

Sure thing! I’ve added you.

1 Like