Unreal 5 "missing modules" integration issue

Hi There.

Following the proper documentation and process. I’ve managed to integrate FMOD to our Unreal project. (Unreal 5.1.1 and FMOD 2.02.15). I’ve carefully read through and downloaded the right files

File name fmodstudio20215ue5.1win64 for the 2.02.15 - Unreal 5.1 integration. And:
File name fmodstudio20215win64-installer for FMOD Studio 2.02.15.

Everything seems to be alright as I managed to test and have sounds in our project. When submitting this to our team’s GitHub repo, my teammates get the following error:

fmod error

The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version: FMODStudio. FMODStudioEditor. Would you like to rebuild them now?

When clicking Yes. Another error says that is wasn’t possible and then Unreal won’t start.

I’ve googled and looked through these forums and the only answers to people with the same problem come from the fact they had a different integration file (most people had the issue with UE4+ and non plus versions, which is not the case since we’re using Unreal 5.1.1)

I re-checked and downloaded the integration files again (from the website as well as the github) to no success.

We’re all using the same version of Unreal, computers have all the same specs and we are all in the same room together. Our Gitignore file doesn’t seem to be affecting this, but just in case here’s what it’s in it:

# Fmod Project

Any idea what could be causing the issue? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Edit: Forgot to mention we’re using a Blueprints project. So no C++ involved

Edit 2: the gitignore file had “.dll" and ".lib” files in it, which seemed to be causing the issue. Hitting this as resolved but should probably leave it up in case other people run into the same issue

Just replying so that we can mark it as solved.

Hi, I’m having the same issue now. What does your gitignore file look like now? did you remove the references to .lib and .dll files in the gitignore?

We ended up actually completely eliminating everything FMOD/Wwise related to the gitignore. By that point, we started getting the errors again and time was running out so we switched to Wwise, where the same error happened and solved it by not including anything in the ignore file. So I figured that if having nothing in the ignore file with Wwise worked, the results with FMOD could be replicated.

Just to give you an idea, we were a project of 10 people running for a bit more than a month.

Hope this helps, and good luck

Hmm yeah nothings working yet, I’m not really sure what the problem is. We’re about the same size and luckily in the first week of a month long jam so have a long time to figure the implementation out.
I’m also assuming that the fmod studio session I’m using to create the builds and assets doesn’t need to exist within the repository? As if so that may be the problem.

Do you get this error as well? I remember it happened to us that if you click on yes, nothing happens, but if you wait like 5 minutes without touching anything else suddenly Unreal would start again.

With the studio assets and build, I always kept them inside the repo, so I personally haven’t had issues with that.

Bizarre, I’ll give that a go and potentially I should move my fmod standalone project into the repository, I doubt it’ll use up too much space.

Still not had any luck, cheers for the advice though

Sorry to hear that. Starting a blank project, integrate FMOD (without adding it to git) and then uploading it to the repo might help. Good luck!

In regards to the original warning message from UE:

The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

This is caused by the built module files being out of sync with the current engine version you are using. Eg. We build the integration for UE5.1.1 and you try to use it with a project in UE5.1.0 (or even UE5.1.1 built from source). That is enough of a difference for Unreal to detect and tell you that the files are out of sync and need to be recompiled.

You can check the output log for information on why it’s not working in ‘{ProjectName}/Saved/Logs/{ProjectName}.log’.

1 Like