Unreal engine 4.27 doesn't produce sound with FMOD 2.02.03

Just this morning I started the game and I had no sound playing. Live update also did not work. I have included the console output on startup. Connecting to the game through live update does not add to the console. When playing an event in fmod it does produce sound. Playing an event through the UE content browser doesn’t.

FMOD plugin settings

Console output
FMOD Console output.txt (7.2 KB)

Any help is much appreciated

1 Like
fmod_output_asio.cpp(85), OutputASIO::init(): You can only have a single instance of ASIO active at a time.
"FMOD_ERROR (47): Error initializing output device, but more specifically, the output device is already in use and cannot be reused."

ASIO expects exclusive access to the sound card, perhaps try running UE with all other applications closed and see if that helps? Otherwise, in the latest version of the integration we have added the option to set the output type in the plugin settings. You could try updating to FMOD 2.02.07 and add an “Editor” platform with the Output Type set to “TYPE WASAPI”?

Are you getting the same logs about ASIO failing to initialize?

Thanks Jeff. I’m talking to our programmer to see if we can get the latest version in. Your first solution didbn’t works sadly. Will get back to you

I got my log from the fmod console, not the unreal one. You could check that too

Hi, changing out the fmod plugins seems to be an issue at the moment. I however found out something else. Whenever I change the output format in the plugin I get this error. Any ideas? I am not on cloud storage or anything.

That error means the banks used for auditioning in the editor failed to load. Perhaps try rebuilding your banks and validating your project again?

Hm no sadly that doesn’t do anything. I see that whenever I play in editor I get this error. I don’t know where this originates from.

That error is not originating from the FMOD Unreal integration- it may still be related though. Were you able to update to 2.02.07 and change your output device?
The only other thing I can think of would be to disable exclusive mode for your audio device. Here are the steps:

1. Right-click on the white speaker icon located on the bottom right-hand side of the screen
  2. Click “Playback Devices” or “Sounds”
  3. Choose your interface and click “Properties”
  4. On the Advanced tab, uncheck the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” box

I was not able to sadly. I have left the project myself so there might not be an issue with it anymore. I’ll have to see next time. Thank you for your time jeff!