Using FMOD for Unity, but we have Mac and PC users on the project, How to get Resonance Audio to work on Mac?

So we are running FMOD 2.00.10 for Studio and the Unity API
Our Unity version is 2019.3.12f1

On the team we have mostly PC users, but a few Mac users.
When trying to use the resonance audio plugin, it works perfectly fine on PC, but it seems to be looking for a resonanceaudio.dll file for mac, though it should be .bundle or .dylib I’m assuming.
Is there something in the runtime manager for FMOD that is not telling it to look for a different filetype when someone is using Mac?
The errors that pop on on our Mac user’s end are:

Unity-Project/Assets/Plugins/FMOD/lib/mac/resonanceaudio.dll’ : ERR_FILE_NOTFOUND : File not found.

FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:47)

FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.PathToGUID (System.String path) (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:905)

FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetEventDescription (System.String path) (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:991)

FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Lookup () (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/StudioEventEmitter.cs:104)

FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Play () (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/StudioEventEmitter.cs:131)

FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.HandleGameEvent (FMODUnity.EmitterGameEvent gameEvent) (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/StudioEventEmitter.cs:94)

FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Start () (at Assets/FMOD/src/Runtime/StudioEventEmitter.cs:60)

Any help is appreciated, as we all like the reverb in resonance audio more, but would like it to still work on all of our machines.

It should also be mentioned, resonance audio works fine when running in FMOD Studio, just seems to fail to initialize the plugin for Mac when Unity loads it.

Looking at my current FMOD Unity integration, there should be a resonanceaudio.bundle file in Assets/Plugins/FMOD/lib/mac. Does that appear in that folder?

Yes, resonanceaudio.bundle is in the Assets/Plugins/FMOD/lib/mac folder, but the errors tell me it’s looking for a .dll when it shouldn’t for Mac

Ah, apologies then. I had a similar issue at one stage where I didn’t have the plugin and it was giving me similar error messages (I even think it might have said something about trying to find a dll despite being on Mac). Hopefully you get a response from a member of the FMOD team soon and they can solve your issue. :sweat_smile:

In the settings plugin list, you should just have the name of the plugin, in this case “resonanceaudio”, the integration will find it for the platform that you are using.

I’m pretty sure we’ve set that, but I’ll have to double-check with the Mac users and see if it’s set the same on their machines

Yeah they have ‘resonanceaudio’ listen in the plugin field, yet it still seems to only look for .dll files

The only way I have been able to reproduce this issue so far is by putting one of the following in the project’s Scripting Define Symbols:

• UNITY_STANDALONE_WIN
  • UNITY_XBOXONE
  • UNITY_WINRT_8_1
  • UNITY_WSA_10_0

Do you have any of the above in your Scripting Define Symbols?

Recently updated to 2.01.05 and it is working fine for PC and Mac now