Using Parameter Velocity as a Condition

Hello!

Maybe I’ve missed something, I hope I can get a word of advice.
Is there a way to use - whether a Parameter Value is increasing or decreasing - as a trigger condition?

As an example, I want to do vehicle engine loops, trigger various samples as the RPM Parameter moves up and down. If I want to have two different loops at the same RPM region, but have one trigger with deceleration and the other with acceleration, am I out of luck?

Currently, I’m able to trigger a loop only based on the RPM Parameter value. Not the velocity, the value movement. I wonder If there’s a simple way or a workaround to define the current direction/vector of a Parameter value within FMOD Studio. I feel I could use it.

Thanks for your time!

As of the time of writing (April of 2024), there is no built-in way to use the velocity of a parameter as a trigger condition, or to use whether the velocity of a parameter is negative or positive as part of the trigger conditions for an instrument.

It’s possible to get the value of parameters from code, so you could potentially write code that periodically gets the value of a parameter, uses that information to calculate its speed, and sets another parameter’s value accordingly in order to get the behavior you want, but there is no easy built-in way to do it.

Thank you, Joseph,
That’s a shame, but at least I don’t have to puzzle over it now.
We’ll deal with it through a script.

I’m not sure if I should label your comment as a Solution,
or leave the question open for a future revisit.

It’s up to you, but I recommend leaving it open. All it does is make the “solution” post more visible by displaying a copy of it near the top of the thread and marking it with a green checkmark - and as my “as of the time of writing” language indicates, the situation might change at some point in the future.

1 Like