A couple of workflow requests

Hi Folks,
I’ve been thinking about a couple of things that might speed up my workflow, and I wonder what others think.

The first one would have a dialogue popup when you duplicate an event that asks whether you want to assign the event to the same bank or not. Kind of a hack, but I duplicate events quite often, so that they are automatically routed to the same mix group, and it would be nice to extend this to the sound bank as well.

The second would be to have the cursor focused in the search field by default on various menus like parameter sheets, the assets tab and audio bin.

Thanks, Matt

Thanks for reporting this issue to us! A duplicate event should inherit the same bank assignment as its original, so the current behavior is a bug. I’ve therefore added this issue to our bug tracker; it will be fixed in an upcoming release of FMOD Studio.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that upon opening a new (for example) event editor window, the events browser search bar should immediately have keyboard focus? Or do you mean keyboard focus should always immediately switch to the search bar upon changing browser tabs?

Thanks Joseph,
I will try to clarify what I mean in regards to the keyboard focusing on a search bar. If I click on a parameter sheet from the the editor, I’m either going to click new parameter, click to choose an existing parameter that’s visible in the browser, or search for the parameter I need. When I want to search for a parameter, I intuitively start typing, only to realize that the keyboard isn’t focused on the search bar. So, why not start with focus on search, so you can just start typing, and if you don’t need to search, you’ll need to click on the desired component anyway. Looking at it another way, it’s focusing on search, vs not focusing on anything.

Same goes for the Asset Tab and Audio Bin. It might make sense to make this a default for the Editor as well, but I tend to use search less often there, and rely more on hunt and peck.

I’m sure not everyone would agree with the workflow, so perhaps it could one day be an option in preferences?

Regards, Matt

I’m afraid I don’t fully understand. I would have assumed that if you clicked on a parameter sheet, it was because you wanted to interact with the instruments and automation on that parameter sheet.

To clarify, a parameter sheet is the thing that fills the bulk of the editor pane (i.e.: the large central section of the event editor window) when you click on a parameter tab, and on which are the instruments triggered by that parameter.

I’m guessing you meant to say “if I clicked the ‘Add Parameter Sheet’ menu item,” in which case you meant that you want the search bars of browsers embedded in menus to have keyboard focus. I can see how this could be useful, so I’ll add it to our feature/improvement tracker.

Hi Joseph,
Apologies for my mix up between the parameter sheet and add parameter sheet.

And I appreciate you for adding ,y request to the feature/improvement tracker.

Best, Matt