A question about the group of a event who has a reference event in another group

First, thank you for your help.
Let me introduce my question in a example.
I have a event named ‘Original’ who is set to a group ‘GroupOriginal’.
Then I drag and drop the ‘Original’ to another event’s track. The event’s name is ‘SkillA’ and is set to group ‘GroupCharacterA’.
Then I drag and drop the ‘Original’ to another event’s track. The event’s name is ‘SkillB’ and is set to group ‘GroupCharacterB’.
Then I add a compressor in GroupCharacterA and open its sidechain mode. Set GroupCharacterB to send message to the compressor in GroupCharacterA.
Finally, will the SkillA controlled by SkillB?

Thank you!

Technically no, but you will hear the output of SkillA being compressed according to the output of SkillB.

If you drag an event onto a track of another event, it creates an “event instrument.” An event instrument is a kind of instrument that references another event. When an event instrument is triggered, it spawns an instance of the event it references, and routes the output of that instance into the track of the event containing the instrument instead of directly into the project mixer. This means that the output of the “Original” event instrument in your “SkillA” event will be routed into SkillA’s audio tracks, and be mixed into SkillA’s output; and the output of the “Original” event instrument in your “SkillB” event will be routed into SkillB’s audio tracks, and so be mixed into SkillB’s output.

If an event is routed into a group bus, the output of that event is routed into that group bus, and mixed into that group bus’ signal.

An effect on a group bus does not directly affect any of the events routed into that group bus, but does affect the signal passing through that group bus. Thus, a compressor effect on the “GroupCharacterA” group bus will not affect the SkillA event, but will compress the signal passing through the GroupCharacterA group bus (which is a mix that includes the output of the GroupA event) based on its sidechain inputs, and so will alter the audible output of the SkillA event without controlling that event directly.

Does that answer your question?

1 Like

I’m deeply appreciated for your detailed answer! Now I fully understand.Thank you!