Audio is playing through multiple group buses simultaneously

Hi, I’m the sound guy on a VR-Game development and I am using the Resonance audio plug-in in this project.
I’ve stumbled upon a problem when setting up a Mixer.
As instructed, I’m placing the Resonance audio listener on each group, to be able to control them individually, rather than placing a single listener on the master bus, which won’t give me that flexibility (as far as I understand).

So, to the problem: If I’ve been listening to other sound events, the audio is playing through two groups simultaneously. And that creates some sort of distortion, which I belive is connected to the listener. However, I am not sure whether the listener is causing the issue of playing it through different groups buses at once, but it is the source of the distorted sound.
If I just mute and unmute the group mixer where the audio is not suppose to go through, it jumps to another group, and continues to do so until all other groups has been delt with (there is a connection with which events that has been played previously), then it works fine…in Fmod. Until I listen to another sound event that is, then it reappears.

When I’m trying to build a project from Unity and trying out the experience in the Oculus Quest, the problem is present with every build.

Short clip to describe the problem https://youtu.be/t1n5VUVrOGg

I don’t believe the instructions are very clear, but it’s saying that if you want spatialized and non-spatialized sounds in your game, then you should not place the listener on the master bus.

Instead, have all group buses/event routed into one “Spatialized” bus with the Resonance listener on it, and another group bus for all non-spatialized buses/events.

With Resonance and other such spatializers, they don’t route sound in the conventional way but instead go directly to the listener. If there’s more than one listener then it will route the sound to both listeners, causing the phasing and distortion you’re hearing.

I’m not sure, but think that is the same setup that I have now, only it would be fewer groups and named differently.
The problem is that if one sound event is played, it routes, not only to the bus it is ment to route to, it routes to other buses as well. As you can see in the linked videoclip, the sound event playing is jumping between different buses, buses I never routed the event to.

You have three listeners in the video you sent over. So the ambient event playing is sending signal to all three of these listeners. The mute/unmute behaviour appears to be a bug.

What you need to do is to group all of these buses (Ambience, SFX, Music) into one group bus and have just one listener on that group bus.

“What you need to do is to group all of these buses (Ambience, SFX, Music) into one group bus and have just one listener on that group bus.”

yes, I had that set up before, but if I have all my sounds as a child to a parent group, it is only possible to change the parameters of the parent, not the individual children.

So to conclude, with only one listener on a parent group filled with all the sound events, there is no way for me to change, for example, the volume of an individual sound in the mixer window.
And with multiple listeners, there is that distortion and that “mute/unmute bug” (shown in the link above)

Here is what they say at Resonance Audio -

" Where to place the Resonance Audio Listener

The Resonance Audio Listener plugin can be placed on any mixer. The Resonance Audio Listener mixes binaurally rendered spatialized sources with the incoming stereo input of the corresponding mixer.

Spatialize all sources
You can place the Resonance Audio Listener plugin on the Master Bus deck.

Spatialize specific sources
You can also opt to spatialize specific sources in your project. To do this, create an event group and place the plugin on the event group’s mixer deck."

This is unfortunately the limitation of these specialized spatializers. The same happens with the FMOD Object Spatializer, Oculus Spatializer, and Resonance Spatializer. The way around this is to utilize global parameters and perform the mixing at the event level.

Ok, thanks for the answer!