Building banks in FMOD Studio causes Unreal Engine to crash

I’m having issues building a bank in FMOD studio. Whenever I build the bank and add it to the unreal content folder UE will crash, and will continue to crash on startup until the bank is removed.

I have tried using a different version of both the FMOD plugin and FMOD studio, and I have also tried using UE5.0.

I initially thought it could be the length of the directory, however, I’ve now moved to project to a different location (J:\Git\MWStudios) and still get the crashes.

Unreal’s editor logs the following errors:

Error        LogPackageName            FromPackageNameChecked: Invalid LongPackageName "Content/FMOD/PrivateIntegrationData/BankLookup"
Warning      LogOutputDevice           Script Stack (0 frames) :
Error        LogWindows                appError called: Assertion failed: PathStr[0] == '/' [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\AssetRegistry\Private\PathTree.cpp] [Line: 22] 

**And sometimes: **

Log          LogFMOD                   Loading strings bank: ../../../../../../Git/MWStudios/Content/FMOD/Desktop/Master.strings.bank
Error        LogPackageName            FromPackageNameChecked: Invalid LongPackageName "Content/FMOD/Events/Car/EngineTotal"
Log          LogFMOD                   Adding asset: Content/FMOD/Events/Car/EngineTotal
Warning      LogOutputDevice           Script Stack (0 frames) :
Error        LogWindows                appError called: Assertion failed: PathStr[0] == '/' [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\AssetRegistry\Private\PathTree.cpp] [Line: 22] 

Versions used
UE 5.1 & 5.0
FMOD Plugin: 2.02.12 & 2.02.11 & Latest from Github
FMOD Studio: 2.02.12 & 2.02.11

Unreal Crash Report

Assertion failed: PathStr[0] == '/' [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\AssetRegistry\Private\PathTree.cpp] [Line: 22]

UnrealEditor_AssetRegistry!FPathTree::CachePath() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\AssetRegistry\Private\PathTree.cpp:22]
UnrealEditor_AssetRegistry!UAssetRegistryImpl::AssetCreated() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\AssetRegistry\Private\AssetRegistry.cpp:3481]
UnrealEditor_FMODStudioEditor!FFMODAssetBuilder::BuildBankLookup() [J:\Git\MWStudios\Plugins\FMODStudio\Source\FMODStudioEditor\Private\FMODAssetBuilder.cpp:381]
UnrealEditor_FMODStudioEditor!FFMODAssetBuilder::ProcessBanks() [J:\Git\MWStudios\Plugins\FMODStudio\Source\FMODStudioEditor\Private\FMODAssetBuilder.cpp:50]
UnrealEditor_FMODStudioEditor!FFMODStudioEditorModule::ReloadBanks() [J:\Git\MWStudios\Plugins\FMODStudio\Source\FMODStudioEditor\Private\FMODStudioEditorModule.cpp:1239]
UnrealEditor_FMODStudioEditor!FFMODStudioEditorModule::ProcessBanks() [J:\Git\MWStudios\Plugins\FMODStudio\Source\FMODStudioEditor\Private\FMODStudioEditorModule.cpp:387]
UnrealEditor_FMODStudioEditor!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,<lambda_b89097783886ec9b87f132c6787c1a3c> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [J:\Engines\UnrealEngines\UE_5.1\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:847]
UnrealEditor_AssetRegistry!UAssetRegistryImpl::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\AssetRegistry\Private\AssetRegistry.cpp:3700]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:1650]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdEngine.cpp:517]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5367]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:202]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:107]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:244]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:282]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a\_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Have now managed to fix this, the crash log was telling me all along “PathStr[0] == ‘/’”. If anyone else has this issue, make sure your content browser prefix, in the UE project settings, begins with a ‘/’

It’s good to hear you’ve managed to resolve the issue - I’ve flagged some changes around this on our internal feature/improvement tracker so that hopefully other people won’t run into the same problem in future.