Confirming capabilities on Nintendo Switch (including Oculus Spatializer)

Hi all,

I’ve been developing an audiogame (aka no visuals) for PC/Mac on Steam, with the game built in:

• Unity 2021.3
  • FMOD version is 2.02.13
  • Oculus integration package version is 55
  • ONSP (spatializer) version is 1.79.0.

My game heavily uses the Oculus Spatializer for binaural rendering. I’m looking to port to Switch and before hiring someone to handle the port (and spend the money) I’d love to know if I might encounter any issues with the port or running this type of audio system on the Switch.

At any given time I don’t think I’m rendering (and binauralizing) any more than 24 mono audio events.

I guess I’m most concerned about the Switch either having issues with the Oculus Spatializer package.

Any help or insight with this would be greatly appreciated – thanks!

Kasson

Hi,

it’s unlikely that you’ll run into issues with FMOD specifically. However, as far as I’m aware, Oculus doesn’t offer console support - this includes the Oculus spatializer plugin for FMOD Studio. You may wish to try using the Resonance plugins instead, as they offer similar features for binaural audio like HRTF and early reflections.

You can view the documentation for the FMOD Studio Resonance plugins here: Resonance Audio - FMOD

The required Resonance libs are included with our Switch Unity package, but note that you will need to link them statically, the process of which is detailed here: https://www.fmod.com/docs/2.02/unity/plugins.html#static-plugins

1 Like

Great - thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

So I just did a test where I disabled all the Oculus Spat plugins and replaced with the FMOD 3D spatializer plugin. It’s definitely not as nuanced as the Oculus one, but I think with some finessing (esp in terms of gain attenuation curves) I’d be totally fine to create a Switch version using this method. Then I don’t have to run any 3rd party DSP and it would all be native to FMOD.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kasson

1 Like